No announcement yet.

Tino Zottola guitar amp construction books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I built a '59 bassman 5F6A amp head using the layout (more or less) from TZ's book. It sounds great, is pretty faithful to the original, and is well laid out. I agree with ian2113 about the fuse wiring, tho. I would prefer the fuse be the first thing the hot goes to. I added meter ports on the back to measure bias current with the bias pot accessible from the back also. Used massive Sprague Atom 600v. 20mfd caps, Hammond steel w/ multi output jacks. All is good.

Comment

Tino's amp building books

Thanks. I am an x-construction electrician and know to repspect power. I do not know how to order electrical components. I am having a very tough time ordering the transformers for the M1A amp in book number one. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET THE TRANSFOMERS NEEDED FOR THE M1A AMP IN TINO'S BOOK I promise not to die. Thanks

Comment

I don't know which transformers you are talking about since I don't have that book.

But there are several good places online to get transformers for tube amps. You can find them on eBay if you're lucky and know what to look for. You can also find them at places like TorresEngineering.com. Angela.com, triodelectronics.com, mouser.com, tubesandmore.com, etc.

Mercury magnetics has a range of "replacement" transformers, too. But they don't publish the vitals on them for some reason.

Heyboer makes good transformers, too. But I haven't found a good outlet for them, yet.

Your best bet is probably Hammond transfomers. As long as you know what specifications to look for, you should be able to find a Hammond transformer (power, output or choke) that will fill your need.

Just remember that transformers are one of the most expensive parts of amplifiers (those and the tubes). Hammond also makes a good line of aluminum or steel chassis's (sp?). I have used several and really like them.

A good place to get tubes (other than eBay) in the US is TheTubeStore.com. They have a good selection and their prices are reasonable.

I hope that helps you a bit.

If you can be more specific about the power transformer you are looking for someone here could probably recommend a transformer for you. Although this is something you need to be able to do for yourself at some point.

Cheers,
        Bruce

Comment

Tino Zottola

Thanks to all for the info and resources. The M1A amp is a low power amp that calls for a "117 volts 60 hertz in 60 volts 1/2 amp out" and a "3 watts, 2k ohm primary 8 ohms secondary". I have not been able to locate either. I greatly appreciate the help and advice.

Comment

I'm sure mr Zotta's books are great and his amp designs are obviously worthy of being published.

It would be my suggestion from a construction point of view (especially for a first time builder) would be to build an amp (like a princeton 5F2A) that has every single part readily available.

where ever your weakness is in amp construction you can simply buy your way out, maybe wood working is not your bag, you can buy a cab.

not only that, if you are on a budget, you can find many parts on EBay or even here.

It will also allow many members who have built these types of amps to help where you need it and give you practical advice from real experience.

when you are finished, you'll fist have a great sounding amp, second you'll have a super platform for tryng out mods that on a simple circuit.

If you get the "tube amp bug" which is highly addicting and very rewarding, you'll have some experience to build one of the amps Mr Zotta has described with the understanding of what is going on and how those differences may affect the tone and quality of designs.

just my .02 so take it with the grain of salt

Ray

Comment

I'd like to add this thought too.

many first time amp builders (myself included) believe that they can build an amp cheaper than they could go out and buy one.

this is usually not the case.

my recent princeton build eneded up costing about $300 and I had a lot of the components laying around

but in all fairness I used pretty much all high end or genuine fender parts.

the costs arent bad because I spread them out over time as i built it, $20 - $50 or so every week untill I could go into assembly

mind you also that I have many fabrication rescources available and build everything from my chassis and cabinets, but materials still cost.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Santa Fe View Post
                Thanks to all for the info and resources. The M1A amp is a low power amp that calls for a "117 volts 60 hertz in 60 volts 1/2 amp out" and a "3 watts, 2k ohm primary 8 ohms secondary". I have not been able to locate either. I greatly appreciate the help and advice.
                Hmm, that's not quite enough info on the power transformer. The primary info means it will work off of wall socket power in the US. 500 milliamps is a lot of power for an HT secondary. There has to be a heater (6.3 or 5V) component or your amp won't work. (usually) The 60v output isn't an HT secondary. You "should" be able to get that from a Hammond 164/162 series transformer. http://www.hammondmfg.com/162.htm You might find one of those at ElectroSonic (e-sonic.com)

For the output transformer, that's much easier, a Hammond 125ASE should be able to handle that just fine. You can get one of those for about $36 from some place like TorresEngineering.com.

What tubes does the design call for? With that we should be able to figure out the required PT specs. Does this amp have any octal (8 pin and usually fairly large with higher voltage & current requirements) tubes? Or are they all noval (nine pin) tubes?

And like Ray said, it might be better if you picked something that is well known and understood for your first build like perhaps a Fender Champ so that you can readily find the parts as well as get help from more people who are familiar with that amp. Once you have that working and have a good understanding of it, the projects in Tino's books won't seem so daunting.

I may have to buy this book just to see what Tino has designed here. The power requirements don't sound like any tube amp design I've ever seen. I don't suppose anyone has a schematic?

I'm still learning a lot myself. I don't ever expect to stop.

Cheers,
                Bruce

P.S. I googled the MA1 amp and found that it uses a 12AX7 preamp tube and a 50L6 power tube. The 50L6 can run on 250V or 110V but I think 60V would be too low. It's definitely too low for a 12AX7 in most designs. Although it should work on 100V if you use a 6AV6. You definitely need a 6.3V heater tap for the 6AV6 and you'd have to tap on side of the 110V for the heater on the 50L6. The 50L6 tube requires 50 volts for its heater. Also 500ma seems like huge overkill for the power needed by these tubes.

The 2Kohm impedance goes along with a 110Vdc circuit for the 50L6 tube. It looks almost like you're going to need a line isolation transformer. Still, I'd really like to see a schematic of that amp. I can't find this book for sale anywhere, though. I guess I'll try my local library (fat chance).

P.P.S. I found the Tino Zottola books at Antique Electronics ( http://www.tubesandmore.com ). Just in case anyone else has been looking for them.
                Last edited by RogerWilco99; 04-24-2009, 05:46 PM. Reason: Can't spell my name among other things...

Comment

MA1 Parts

I just got Tino's books and would love to throw together the first project, a MA1. I,m a complete electrical novice and have no idea where to find these parts, particularly the transformers. Is there help for meatheads out there or do I have to actually learn something before jumping in?
                  The power transformer for the MA1 is easy. You want to purchase a Triad N-68X. It's available online from Allied Electronics: http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Sea...d=120DFFCC35B0

This is a 120/240 / 120 isolation transformer. To work with the MA1 circuit, you want to wire the transformer primary for 240V. This is important! You will be feeding 120V to the 240V primary, and your secondary voltage will now be 60V, exactly what is required.

The output transformer is not especially critical. It can be scavenged from nearly any discarded tube radio from the 50s - 60s. Look for an output tube of 50L6 or 50C5 and the transformer is guaranteed to work with the MA1. (If a 50L6, you'll have your output tube as well!) Or you can buy a transformer from AES: www.tubesandmore.com. Serch for the P-T983 or P-T31. AES also has the 50L6 as well as many variations of the 12AX7. I bought a cheap, Chinese made 12AX7 and am satisfied.

It's helpful to have experience with tube electronics. Tino's books are very good, but I wouldn't rely solely on the construction methods without some knowledge of the circuitry. Not to worry, however. The MA1 works perfectly as advertised. Nice little amp. I prefer it's tone over my Roland 15W cube.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by RogerWilco99 View Post
                    P.S. I googled the MA1 amp and found that it uses a 12AX7 preamp tube and a 50L6 power tube. The 50L6 can run on 250V or 110V but I think 60V would be too low. It's definitely too low for a 12AX7 in most designs. Although it should work on 100V if you use a 6AV6. You definitely need a 6.3V heater tap for the 6AV6 and you'd have to tap on side of the 110V for the heater on the 50L6. The 50L6 tube requires 50 volts for its heater. Also 500ma seems like huge overkill for the power needed by these tubes.
                    In the MA1, The power transformer is the isolation transformer. A Triad N-68X (240/120 / 120) available from Allied Electronics for 12 bucks works perfect. Wire the primary for 240V and you'll have 60V at the secondary at 50VA. The tube heaters are wired in series for 62V across the secondary. The secondary is also tied to a solid-state voltage doubler, giving you about 150VDC. This is a fine little practice amp that I've been using for well over a year now.

Joe

Comment

Now you guys got me curious!

I built a little 50C5 amp for my son, but I'm not happy that I used the AA5 heater and power scheme.

he really loves it, not a tone monster but definitley has its own flavor.

Is the MA1 a P-P or SE?

I'm assuming SE if he's saying any radio trans will work

I'Ve got a handful of OT's from thos AA5 radios around here if you need one
                      probaly a few 50C5's too

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by stingray_65 View Post
                        Now you guys got me curious!

I built a little 50C5 amp for my son, but I'm not happy that I used the AA5 heater and power scheme.

he really loves it, not a tone monster but definitley has its own flavor.

Is the MA1 a P-P or SE?

I'm assuming SE if he's saying any radio trans will work

I'Ve got a handful of OT's from thos AA5 radios around here if you need one
                        probaly a few 50C5's too

Ray
                        If you use AA5 tubes, I hope you use an isolation transformer, perhaps as I described with the inexpensive Triad N-68X.

The 50L6 is likewise an AA5 style tube, albeit a generation older then the 50C5. It is SE, just like the 50C5 amp, and the heater string is likewise in series. I use output transformers from discarded AA5 receivers, or buy the inexpensive surplus transformers from AES. This is one case where spending a lot of money on transformers will not be an advantage.

I need to add the photos of these amps along with some sound samples back to my web site. They were removed some time ago.

Joe

Comment

No I didn't use an isolation x former, but the way I have the plug I know in my house it won't be an issue.

I'm not happy with that at all. I've warned him never to use it out of the house and even shown him with a meter how if some one hasn't wired an outlet correct how it could hurt him

I'll break down some time and buy one, since his new girlfriend he hasn't even spent money on new string LOL.

Ray

Comment

Tino's All American Four

I've been unemployed since mid March. In addition to submitting resumes and attending interviews, I've been occupying my time building various electronic projects. Among these is Tino's "All American Four" amplifier. This was built entirely of junkbox parts, including the bread tin chassis.

I found the 12AV6 tubes originally called for to be too microphonic. The slightest bump to the tube or even the chassis cause unacceptable ringing. I substituted 12AT6 in their place. This is a lower gain tube, and to compensate, I added a cathode bypass cap to the 50C5. Plenty of gain now! This amp was built for fun as well as for a gift for a good friend of mine in the UK. You'll notice the sticker for 240V mains. I have a 120 - 240 isolation transformer for bench testing. The blocked out label on the rear view is a personalized gift tag for my friend.

Anyhow, here's the creation:

AA4 Amplifier

Chassis

Rear

Joe
                            Last edited by Cephus; 04-28-2009, 05:58 PM.

Comment

I just got Tino's books and would love to throw together the first project, a MA1. I,m a complete electrical novice and have no idea where to find these parts, particularly the transformers. Is there help for meatheads out there or do I have to actually learn something before jumping in?
                              Here's the MA1 that I built a year ago. I really like to use parts that I have in the junkbox, hence the bread tin chassis. That alone saves a good 12 bucks on the cost!

The MA1 is a fine sounding amp, perfect for bedroom practice. I previously commented on the power transformer.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Cephus View Post
                                Here's the MA1 that I built a year ago. I really like to use parts that I have in the junkbox, hence the bread tin chassis. That alone saves a good 12 bucks on the cost!

The MA1 is a fine sounding amp, perfect for bedroom practice. I previously commented on the power transformer.

Joe
                                @Cephus--

I recently bought three AA5 amps off Craigslist for a ridiculously low price, and one is clearly a MA1. Nice compact little head, darn loud for 3-ish watts.

Question: what's type of output transformer is that? My MA1 has the same one; it's even smaller than most 3W AA3 OTs...looks like a line transformer. But it really sounds nice! ('course I've running it through a 4 ohm cab--maybe the cool sound is 'cause it's expecting a 8 ohm load...)

RE: the amp itself--previous owner bought it from Ebay, couldn't fix the noisy fizzyness. First I moved the earth ground away from the initial filter cap ground connection.

Oh, and the original builder installed a death cap, for some reason (even though it has a modern 3-prong cord.) Wow, even other amps plugged into the same mains circuit were fizzy, thanks to that cap. Problem fixed.

Also, it's got the "scratchy pot" syndrome, both on the amp and on the guitar. Typically, no coupling cap before the first stage, and volume's on a different stage. Maybe a cold solder joint?

Comment

Working...
                                X