Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you guys show me some photos of your amp builds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wombaticus View Post
    Looks really pretty! The 2204 preamp is going to just kick the snot out of those EL84s.. you may need to tweak the voltage swing of the PI, or build in some extra attenuation after the phase inverter / use smaller than normal grid leaks on the power tubes (or some other standard trick) to keep the bee-in-coke can tendency of the EL84s under control.. Looking forward to some clips.
    Just thought I'd provide a sound byte to go with the photo:
    https://soundcloud.com/v2-jmcd/jjm18-be-clip-1-1

Comment

Here's the latest one of mine. I built it for a blind trade with a forum friend. I built him an amp and he built me a guitar. Neither of us knew what the other was building until it showed up at our doors. The amp is an S6420 circuit and the guitar is an homage to an early 60's Esquire

The amp:

The guitar:

~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Here's my latest project, a "phat toob" microphone preamplifier with a circuit based on a mod of the AMPEX 351 reel-to-reel. There's more info and a full photo gallery on my blog.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Wombat_EMP351_front_top.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	832676
        Most of the reason this looks so pretty is because of the pro-quality laser-engraved faceplates that I had done for me by Mason Atom Wolak of TMI Amplification, which is based out of Alexandria, VA. If you're in the market for laser or rotary engraved faceplates for amp or rackmounts, you should be giving him a call.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombaticus View Post
          Here's my latest project, a "phat toob" microphone preamplifier with a circuit based on a mod of the AMPEX 351 reel-to-reel. There's more info and a full photo gallery on my blog.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]27858[/ATTACH]
          Most of the reason this looks so pretty is because of the pro-quality laser-engraved faceplates that I had done for me by Mason Atom Wolak of TMI Amplification, which is based out of Alexandria, VA. If you're in the market for laser or rotary engraved faceplates for amp or rackmounts, you should be giving him a call.
          Looks nice. What material was used for the faceplate?

Comment

Originally posted by stormbringer View Post
            Looks nice. What material was used for the faceplate?
            It's just laser engraved black anodized aluminum.

Comment

I'll check out TMI faceplates in the near future. Here is a photo of my recent build, complete with custom laser-etched faceplate (done locally).
              The cab also sports an etched aluminum badge that I designed (for a different amp). I don't recall the faceplate material; it was some sort of plastic.

Comment

DIY 500 Watt Bass Head

ICE 500ASP power module, self-designed preamp and parametric EQ/variable high pass filter boards, power supply board is one of John Broskie's.
                --Charlie Escher

Comment

Here are a few that I've built recently. Been on a roll lately...

~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Originally posted by mort View Post
                    Here are a few that I've built recently. Been on a roll lately...
                    Great work Mort. Here are a few of my older ones, both tube bass preamps. The first one is based on the Tubecad Aikido octal line driver board, with two 6SN7s. I rolled my own preamp with one 6SL7.

The second one is a spinoff of the first, ported to two rack spaces and with my own circuit boards for the line driver and preamp sections:

I pixelated the owner's name.

I've done a few solid state ones too, but SS bass preamps don't seem like this forum's style somehow!
                    --Charlie Escher

Comment

• Originally posted by mort View Post
                      Doesn't matter how pretty or rough looking they came out. I like 'em all. Just curious to see where your creativity and sense of taste[and/or practicality] took you.
                      It's been a while since anyone posted to this thread, but here are my last two builds.

1/2 rack format bass preamp and 700 watt monoblock amp:

Name:	Padstack1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	841442

More or less the same internals, this time all in one box:

Name:	PW8B_case2.JPG
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	841443
                      --Charlie Escher

Comment

• I'm afraid mine is rather crude compared to the beautiful builds that others have posted here, but since it is my first and only home build so far, I'm pretty proud of it. I used the chassis, transformers and tube sockets from a reel to reel recorder. I call it a "build" not a "conversion" because none of the original wiring was used.
                        The normal input is uses a 5879 for the first stage, and the bright input is all 12ax7. The volume pot is a push/pull that switches the negative feedback loop in and out. (I'd like to label the push/pull but I'm not sure what to call it) The speaker is a 12" Peavey Scorpion. The cabinet is from a Bell and Howell 8mm projector.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00725a.JPG
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	841518Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00726a.JPG
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	841519Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00727a.JPG
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	841520
                        Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

• Here's my latest build. It's a 2 channel guitar amp with reverb, tremolo, opto compressor, and adjustable tube based voltage regulator for power tube screens.

Comment

• What does the tube regulator for screen voltage achieve and are there any widely known amps the utilize this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard View Post
                              What does the tube regulator for screen voltage achieve and are there any widely known amps the utilize this?
                              It's like a VVR circuit but 12AU7 is used instead of a mosfet. 11 step rotary switch adjusts the voltage to the regulator and power tube bias. On the lowest setting the output power is 3W and on the highest it's about 30W.

Here's schematic for the amp.
                              Schematic
                              Last edited by Lauri; 04-08-2016, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• So this was my first build. It's a Valve Jr with some minor mods, built in a computer power supply. Total cost, about $50.

Name:	Chassis Front.jpg
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	841933

Name:	Done Soldering.jpg
Size:	498.7 KB
ID:	841934

This is my second build. This was my own design. a 6U8 triode -> 6U8 pentode -> 12AT7 -> 6V6 SE. This one set me back about $100.

Name:	Chassis top front.jpg
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	841935

Name:	Final.jpg
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	841936

I'm currently working on an 18 Watt Lite style amp. This one is actually going to have a cage and I'm actually going to make it it look nice. It's actually going to be Prince tribute amp. I'll post pictures when it's done.

Comment

Working...
                                X