Adapt & Build Princeton Head with 6L6s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
    This is PR I'm recapping. It belonged to a late friend of mine, now owned by his son-in-law. Originally it was a gift for his 13th b'day, (1967). Except for tubes, it's dead stock. Sounds amazing too!
    Nice looking old amp Joe! Your friend's son-in-law is a lucky guy.

BTW Some of those signal caps might still be okay and unless they were playing up I'd think about leaving them alone and only do the filter cap can (and maybe the bypass caps if they were playing up) -Just sayin'.
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, I'm only changing the e-caps, those blue molded signal caps are fine.
      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
      - Yogi Berra

Comment

I rebuilt a beat up Princeton Reverb SF I picked up at a pawn shop years ago. The cab was cut down to make it a Princeton "head". I got it running with lots of work and played it through a single 12" cabinet for a while. Eventually I picked up a reproduction cabinet with a 12" baffle and a PRBF face plate from Allen Amps. Put in a beefed up drop in power transformer rated at 150ma on secondary HV and 4.5A on the filament winding (Allen Amplification - Parts Order Page). Got a DR output tranny from Mercury Magnetics with multiple taps. I can run 6V6, 6L6 or EL34s in it with a bias adjustment. Did some other mods like a bias adjustment/test points on the back of the chassis and switch to toggle between a standard bypass cap and a .68 to drop some of the bass. All this was done without drilling the chassis. Mounted a 12 Jensen Blackbird in it. Looks like a BFPR but sounds much bigger with 6L6 or EL34s in it.
        [url]http://www.amplifiedparts.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
        X