Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for cheaper transformers

Hi

I am interested in some power and output transformers for tube amp in general. Mercury magnetics and Harmond are too expensive. I wonder any cheaper ones are acceptable. Can anyone give me some suggestions where to look?

Thanks

Alan

Edcor, Triode Electronics, Magnetic Components Inc. and Antek are the main names that I can think of.

Antek only make toroidal transformers. I've seen a few people here use their PTs, but the toroidal OTs aren't too relevant to guitar amp use.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

There are tons of generic transformers. Places that sell tubes often sell them, like Antique Electronic Supply LLC as an example. Other places like Ted Weber or Mojotone too.

And you want real cheap? Take them from an old amp. Or just gut an old amp and build your amp in the chassis. A lot of guys convert old tube PA amps like Bogens to guitar amp that way. And a dead bogen may be a good source of some transformers.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks guys. How about some Chinese transformers that is even cheaper? Does it really make that much difference? These are not hi-fi transformers!!!

Comment

If I were stateside and didn't have to pay a lot for shipping and then get reamed for inport fees and taxes I'd use antek and magnetic components for power transformers and magnetic components and edcor for output.

Comment

Go take a look at Home - Musical Power Supplies Inc.- Quality Tube Amplifier Parts You CAN Afford

Depending on what amp you are wanting to build, he may have one that fits your application.

Comment

I bought and installed the Magnetic Component OT. It's for Fender Pro Reverb/Vibrolux/Bandmaster. It works. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan0354 View Post
                I bought and installed the Magnetic Component OT. It's for Fender Pro Reverb/Vibrolux/Bandmaster. It works. Thanks for the input.
                So, how does it sound compared to the original? I have to buy an ot for a princeton.

Comment

Working...
                X