Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ax84 P1 Extreme Kit: How long to build for an amp tech ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ax84 P1 Extreme Kit: How long to build for an amp tech ?

Hello folks,

a customer of mine is looking for an amp tech to put together this kit for him. He's got all the parts and pre-drilled chassis. I don't offer services like that, but I would like him to have an idea of how many hours it would take an experienced tech to put this together.

Could some you techs please look at this pdf file and just give a rough time estimate?

Thanks very much.

http://www.ax84.com/static/p1x/AX84_P1x_101004.pdf
    "Tubes are less likely than semiconductor devices to be destroyed by the electromagnetic pulse produced by nuclear explosions and geomagnetic storms produced by giant solar flares."

Hard to say, very much depends upon the tech. If he is anal and triple checks everything it will take him longer than the guy brimming with self confidence who just puts it together. Neither guy is "wrong." Everyone falls somewhere on that scale.

Stuffing the parts board is no big deal. Mounting it and wiring the chassis is more work. Then there is the familiarity thing. I can tell you that if I build one, then another, that second one will take a fraction of the time of the first. And if it does not instantly come together, and there is some problem in the wiring, then the skilol and experience of the tech will determine how much time that will take to sort out.

Off the top of my head, three or four hours at least.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Off the top of my head, three or four hours at least.
      If there's not one hitch or extra. Like finding you do need to locate and install a grounding lug or a hole that fits the normal part doesn't quite fit for the alternative part that was purchased when the original was out of stock. Or going to the store for adhesive to install a faceplate. Or sorting out the transformer leads because the diagram is unclear. Or drilling out the holes for mounting the tube sockets with screws because you don't have a rivet gun. Etc., etc.

If your interested in the project on a personal level at all, just charge a token amount for four to five hours. Then accept the extra time as part of the experience. If it's just $$$, agree to do it t&m with a good guess as to the minimum time (say four hours) and no promises. Then work with intense focus to make it a reality as is honest with t&m work.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks for all the information.
        "Tubes are less likely than semiconductor devices to be destroyed by the electromagnetic pulse produced by nuclear explosions and geomagnetic storms produced by giant solar flares."

Comment

I would suggest that a fixed price be negotiated based on the information available. Half payment at the start of work and half on completion.
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I've built about 120-125 tweedy 5E3 type amps. Not too much more difficult then the amp discussed.
            I don't need to look at layouts, schematics or pictures... but darn if it still doesn't take me at least 6-8 hours of near continuous work to build one from the ground up, get it running right, checked-tested out and ready to give a warranty!
            The average bench fee around Denver is anywhere from $55.00 to $85.00 and hour.
            If you have a small home shop, with no real overhead.... but still do retail work with a sales tax and city license.. etc., I'd expect you to be charging about half that... and most likely, the lower of the two, or $25-$35 and hour.
            Bruce

Mission Amps
            Denver, CO. 80022
            www.missionamps.com
            303-955-2412

Comment

Working...
            X