Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting relays on turret build

Howdy folks,

My preference when building amps is eyelets/turrets because of the easy of layout and construction. I find them nice to look at too
    I've always struggled with how best to mount relays. In the past I've dead bugged them by gluing them upside down to the board and then taken flying leads off them. This looks bad and the layout isn't always the best. How do you guys do it? I've seen people use the RS IC prototype boards or wire wrap IC sockets but I was wondering if there was a better way. I've also not had any great luck in sourcing the wire wrap IC sockets in the UK without having to pay excessive shipping for sub £1 part. Tips and pointer appreciated.

Eyelet Relay Mounts

Click image for larger version

Name:	eyeletrelay.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	951.7 KB
ID:	829759

Here is what I did.

The mouser part number is 534-25

I made a sort of stencil for when I design the turret board so I dont have to hold the relay to my drawing and try to get the hole spacing. I also use sockets for my relays.

Comment

Thanks. I'll see if I can source some of those locally.

Comment

I've seen guys do the turret/eyelet trick. I like it. You can even socket them by popping the unused pins out of sockets.

I generally use adapter PCBs that I make. They have small 1206 resistor spots between the pins which are tied together and can be referenced to a voltage - built in reference resistors to prevent popping. I also add flyback diodes and LEDs to the board too. I don't like to think about what a relay is doing, it's much easier if it tells me. With this setup, the only thing the board needs is power and wires coming off of it for signals running to/from the relays.
        -Mike

Comment

I used to buy the generic boards from radio shack and cut them up to make switchers. Hoffman and Weber sell pcb's also. But like zozbra I wanted it all incorporated onto the turret board. Thing is how many are going to be looking at our artwork. I thought of making a plexi window and getting really artsy with it. But then living life took priority over spending extra hours to boost my ego.

Comment

Those hoffman boards are quite neat! Certainly one of the limiting factors I experience over in the UK is sourcing small turrets and eyelets otherwise I'd go straight to the turret board. A few of the big component resellers over here have them on their books but they're nearly always US stock so there is a hefty shipping cost

Comment

Originally posted by defaced View Post
              I've seen guys do the turret/eyelet trick. I like it. You can even socket them by popping the unused pins out of sockets.

I generally use adapter PCBs that I make. They have small 1206 resistor spots between the pins which are tied together and can be referenced to a voltage - built in reference resistors to prevent popping. I also add flyback diodes and LEDs to the board too. I don't like to think about what a relay is doing, it's much easier if it tells me. With this setup, the only thing the board needs is power and wires coming off of it for signals running to/from the relays.
              Pics here: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t24114/#post205106
              -Mike

Comment

Beautiful boards, defaced. I'd like some for my own builds!

Comment

Working...
                X