Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Choice

Hello

I am looking into buying speakers for a Amp build, Been advised on the Celestion G12H, i never had to buy guitar amp speakers before so I am very much a novice, I have been studying all about these speaker for guitar amps, one thing has got me scratching my head, this company, WGS (Warehouse Guitar Speakers, they seem to do Copies of the celestion speakers at a knockdown price

Have these speakers got any quality to them or are they chinese knock offs, made with flimsy inferior components, Does the saying stand here, ''you only get what you pay for''

Thanks
    lee

Celestions are made in China too nowadays, but to be fair, Celestion have their own factory there and take quality control seriously.

I've not heard any serious complaints about the Warehouse speakers, and a few people who seem to be very pleased with them. Probably well worth a try.

If you're on a budget, you might want to look on Ebay (or your local equivalent) for some used Celestion G12T75s. These were the standard fitment in Marshall 4x12s for years, and people often upgrade them to something more exotic and sell off old speakers that are still perfectly good.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Steve, thanks for your reply

Yes, when I think about it, what isn't made in china nowadays?, silly of me to ask really.
      I read on one forum that the metal frames on WHS Speakers are quite flimsy compared to Celestions , they didn't mention quality in regards to the other components that make the speaker up, it was just the frames, but I have always experienced inexpensive means lacking in Quality.
      Thank
      lee

Comment

If you don't like Chinese stuff, I believe Weber and Eminence speakers are US made, solidly built and quite reasonably priced. I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure they'll both offer a model that sounds like the G12H.

The Chinese Celestions are fine, several high-end amp makers use them. I offered them as an example that "made in China" doesn't necessarily equate to trash. (Though it does if you're not careful )

The speaker is probably the most important part of an amp build in terms of tone. You might have to try a few before you find something you like. New ones take a while to break in too, so it is important to give them a fair trial.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

The Chinese-made celestions don't seem to look or perform any differently to the UK made originals and it doesn't put me off buying them. A factory can be anywhere in the world so long as specs and quality control are adhered to. All too often though, Made in China = crap, substandard or counterfeit goods. Does wonders for western manufacturers of baby milk, though.

I have a Chinese inspection microscope for SMD work and it's superb. I also have some Chinese dental picks that look like metal and behave like rubber. Hope my dentist doesn't have any of those.

Nowadays you aren't getting what you paid for. If it says Made in the US/England/Germany or wherever, chances are that the components or major sub-assemblies are made in China and you're paying a premium price. I've just been working on an amp that proudly proclaims to be British, costs £1400, and every component and circuit board is Chinese. Even the QC stickers are signed off in Chinese script. Maybe they're made in 'Thames Town' to get round it. Do a search on that place. Incredible.

Comment

For what it's worth, I have some warehouse speakers in a cab (a reaper and a veteran) and they sound pretty awesome. Would buy again, no question.
            In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

I'm not familiar with Warehouse speakers but there is a "Made in U.S.A." sticker on my Weber and it sounds great.

Comment

I just bought a couple of Celestion Alnico Blues from Avatar.com. Have been a customer for years. Dave laughed, and said, everyone asks if they are Chinese made speakers, because for a short run they were. The two I bought say made in UK, or Britain, or whatever. Good enough for me. Great price, too.
                It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

I think I read somewhere that the Weber "Signature Series" were made in China.
                  WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                  REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
                    I think I read somewhere that the Weber "Signature Series" were made in China.
                    Your kidding right? I was looking at their site a few minutes before reading this and thought they where made in Indiana. States on their web site Proudly made in the USA. I'm about to order their High Power: AlNiCo Texas 12, each 3 as an upgrade for project i working on. (Yes Three 8 Ohm speakers)(2.7 Ohm Output transformer)(60 Watts) (Man where are my glasses.?)

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

Comment

Please don't mix different product lines.
                      Regular Webers are hand made to order, by themselves, and obviously where they live, Indiana USA or wherever they are.
                      That's why they carry a "wait for 14 working days" tag.
                      And you can "mix and match", as in "this cone, that voice coil, age it for a week, lightly dope it, etc." because they are made *for you*.

Signature Series are made .. in series ... by a regular Manufacturer, "somewhere else".
                      Today this usually means China.

They don't carry a "wait 2 weeks tag" but either "in stock" or "out of stock".
                      Which is proper for a product which is resold.
                      Price tags are quite lower, of course.

Comparing just one model, "same speaker", either custom hand made USA or Factory made in China.
                      AlNiCo Sig 10
                      $48.00
                      8 Ohms
                      TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK
                      Economical replacement for late 50's Chicago Jensen P10R and other late 50's early 60's AlNiCo 10's.
                      10", 7oz AlNiCo plug magnet, 15 watt, 1" voice coil, seamed, ribbed cone.

^^^ they don't mention voice coil material, but I repaired them: it's Kapton, the modern industry standard.
                      Not bad at all, it's what *everybody* uses, but hardly vintage.

Now to the same "made in Indiana" Weber.
                      CVA10
                      $88.00
                      8 Ohms
                      Vintage Chicago OEM type speaker. Paper voice coil former, softened cone, pre-broken in.
                      For tweed amps with AlNiCo 10's. Replacement for CTS, Chicago Jensen, and Oxford 10" AlNiCo's.
                      10", 7oz AlNiCo plug magnet, 10 watts, 1" voice coil. Curved seam, inverted rib, aged cone.

You get what you ask for.
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thank you for the clear picture and the detailed information.

Question for another brand: What do you think of speakers from Dayton Audio from Parts express?

Once again, you rock!
                        Last edited by custom_amp_30; 09-09-2013, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Interesting question about Weber speakers being built in China. I decided to contact Weber for an answer and after several attempts at phoning them I got an answer. CJ with Weber speakers informed me that no Weber speaker is manufactured in China, instead all are hand made to order in Kokomo, Indiana except for the signature series which is manufactured on a line at a central Indiana Weber affiliate. Looks like all Weber speakers are USA made.

Comment

Working...
                          X