Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just built my first from-scratch amp and it works!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just built my first from-scratch amp and it works!

I've repaired a bunch of amps but this is the first one I've actually built from scratch (using schematics, of course) out of a pile of parts. It works and actually has a cool sounding break-up above 5 but it needs a lot of tweaking. It makes me feel pretty good about my 5F6 Fender clone that's under construction right now and gives me a boost of confidence that that one will actually sound like it should and work well.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gui_tarzan; 03-24-2014, 10:35 PM.
    --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Now you're hooked. Too bad - you can no longer look at anything without thinking "Wonder if I could build an amp out of that?" I went to Ikea the other week. My other half asked me why I was looking at stainless roasting tins - we don't need one. The answer? "I could get a decent amp chassis out of that".

"You don't need another amp" She said.
    I replied "You don't need another pair of shoes"
    Checkmate.

Comment

I wish I'd thought of that when I was married, Mick- an amp for every pair of the x's shoes...... I could now start my own music store.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Hahaha! I got bit by the tube bug 35 years ago when I got my first tube guitar amp, an Alamo Paragon that I still have. I repair tube guitar amps (and an occasional solid-state) as a hobby but never thought about building one like this until I ran across the DuKane intercom amp chassis that I built this on. I've been keeping my eyes open for anything tube related and have six amps in various states of repair right now, just waiting for parts.

I have a big box of tubes from an old TV repair guy and there are some really nice ones that I understand audiophiles go nuts over. I also have a very old tube tester so I've been checking them as I go through them. Yeah, it's terribly addicting but there are much worse things to be addicted over.
        --Jim

Comment

Originally posted by gui_tarzan View Post
          Yeah, it's terribly addicting but there are much worse things to be addicted over.
          You mean like shoes?
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Or purses. (rolling eyes)
            --Jim

Comment

I forgot purses! Maybe I'll save that one as a backup in case the shoe argument weakens (though I don't think it ever would).

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                Now you're hooked. Too bad - you can no longer look at anything without thinking "Wonder if I could build an amp out of that?" I went to Ikea the other week. My other half asked me why I was looking at stainless roasting tins - we don't need one. The answer? "I could get a decent amp chassis out of that".

"You don't need another amp" She said.
                I replied "You don't need another pair of shoes"
                Checkmate.
                Sounds more like stalemate to me...
                In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Hi Mick, my very first build was in one of those. Just rebuilt it into a OTT (sort of). That stainless steel is a bugger to drill.
                  It's not microphonic - it's undocumented reverb.

Comment

Working...
                  X