Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drilling for 8mm pots

Hey all,

I have a bunch of Alpha pots with 8mm bushings. The mounting hole is supposed to be 0.323" (8.2 mm).
    I see that there are metric unibits with an 8-mm step; I guess that could be reamed out a bit using a de-burring tool?

What are the best options for drilling the pass-through hole on the front panel? How do you do it?

Drill your 8mm hole with your bit. Just because the data sheet wants an extra 0.2mm doesn't mean you need it.

And if you do, then a few strokes with a rat tail file will open the hole a little.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

A tapered reamer works well too, I often drill slightly smaller than I need and then enlarge the hole with it....makes a rounder hole than a drill and gets rid of burrs too. Many hardware stores carry them for $15 or so...

Click image for larger version

Name:	564px-Taper_reamer_K-442.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	833637

Comment

Thanks Gents!

Comment

A drill bit letter size "P" is exactly 0.323 inches...or, use a common 5/16" which will be .3125 and chances are it'll fit, if not use the tapered reamer as shown.

Comment

8.2mm is the clearance dimension to give an easy fit for a nominal 8mm thread. The pot has a +/- tolerance on the thread and the size given means that even at the maximum tolerance size the pot will still easily fit in the hole. I find that many bits cut slightly over due to being ground marginally off-centre and an 8mm hole works fine.

Reminds me of an ex-ICL (International Computers Ltd) draughtsman I once employed. He said that when they were drawing up the sheet-metal cabinets they'd spec an 8mm hole for a 6mm bolt and put a large washer each side "To guarantee everything would fit together when it came to final assembly"

Comment

Working...
            X