Power Tran' Wire help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Tran' Wire help needed.

Could anybody assist me in wiring my transformer? I've built everything else only to be perplexed by it.

It's an after market Power tran' suitable for a Princetown (UK Spec) and should conform to Fender colours I'm told.
    It's supplying a 5Y3 rectifier, 6.3V heaters as well as the rest of the amp.
    Dangling out the bottom are the following wires!:
    2 x Red
    2 x Green
    2x Yellow
    1x Green/Yellow
    1x Orange
    1x Blue
    1x Black

I'm guessing the brown and black are the 230V input and the green/yellow is a safety earth?
    If anyone could help identifying the rest I'd be greatful.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Shawnobi; 07-28-2014, 04:05 PM.

Who is the manufacturer?
    They should have a schematic for the wire colors, no?

My take:
    Red/ Red = B+ (there should be a center tap, no?)
    Green/ Green Yellow (center tap) Green = 6.3Vac heaters
    Yellow/ Yellow 5vac (tube rectifier)

No clue on the Orange , Brown & Black.
    I would try to decifer if one of them is the center tap for the Red/Red.
    That would leave Mains input.

Comment

Sorry, should have been Blue not Brown. Have edited O/P

I'm thinking that:
      Black & Blue = 230VAC Input
      Yellow & Yellow = Pins 2 & 8 (5Y3)
      Red & Red = Pins 4 & 6 (5Y3)
      Green & Green = Heaters

Which leaves the Orange and the Green/White. Poss centre taps that I should tie to ground?

Comment

I'd use my meter to check which wires are connected to which... you may have either a primary for 120,
        OR 240, or you might have a bias tap, or a shield... find out what's connected to what. And, as Jazz said, try to get the manufacturer's info on it. But DON'T GUESS unless you have no other choice!

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I've got the following from the guy who made it (Custom job)

240V blue and brown
          HT winding red-orange-red
          Heater green-green/yellow-green
          Rectifier yellow-yellow

So I guess the green/yellow & the Orange are centre taps to be tied to ground?

Comment

I think it's safe to assume the green/yellow is tye 6V CT. Orange could be. Verify the unknowns.

Justin

Edit: missed mentionnof orange from manufacturer in post 5... sorry!
            Last edited by Justin Thomas; 07-28-2014, 06:44 PM.
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

From post #5 it seems that
              red = HV
              orange = HV CT
              red = HV

green = HTR (6.3v)
              grn/yel = HTR CT
              green = HTR

yel = HTR (5v)
              yel = HTR

So yes, the CT wires should go to ground (or wherever the schem says to go!)

to be sure:
              use Ohmmeter to ring out the wires. The HV set will have a few 10s or 100s of Ohms, and the CT should be easy to identify from it's resistance to the other wires. Not so with the heaters, both the heater sets will be close to continuity (but isolated from anything else), so you'll detect the sets but not *necessarily* which wire is the 6.3v CT unless you have a really good meter.

to be double sure:
              tape off all the leads (individually!), apply power to the primary, and carefully access pairs of wires to read the voltages. You probably don't need to do this since the Tranny's maker has given you the colors. But I'd do that to a completely unknown device.
              If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
              If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
              We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                X