Build for one 6L6 or two 6V6.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build for one 6L6 or two 6V6.

Please help me start thinking about how I will do this.

I will have to have two OTs… an SE OT for the 6L6 and a push-pull for the 6v6s.

Or, I would have to wire the 6v6s in parallel to use the same SE OT as for the single 6L6…?

I don't know if that is correct and also I really don't want to run power tubes in parallel so I can keep the tonal variable between the tubes conventionally comparable for now, because the last two amps I have made both run either two 6L6 or four 6v6.

I want to stay in the same tonal parameters except half the tube compliment because I want to keep experimenting with the same overall fixed bias amp design at half the wattage.

Assuming the plate voltage is the same, you could use the same OT for 1 6L6 and 2 parallel 6V6 single ended output stages. Where a 6L6 would expect 4.5k a 6V6 would look for 9k, so two in parallel would want 4.5k (actual primary impedance depending on plate voltage).

To your other point, a single 6L6 in SE is going to have very different tonal characteristics than two 6L6s in P/P. This is just an inherent difference between push pull and single ended topology. If you want to keep the overall tone of a push pull pair of 6L6s at half the wattage, you would need to experiment with changing the plate voltage, bias, and load impedance. You could certainly make both "30 watt" and "60 watt" power amps with a push pull pair of 6L6s with one running on closer to 300v and the other closer to 500v.

Comment

Yay! Thank you for the response, PeanutNore— that's a lot more to go one than I had to start!

Comment

Working...
      X