Building a Frampenstein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Frampenstein

Hi, my name is Bruno and I am a new member. For a while I have been planning to build my own custom amp. I finally decided what I want, thing is, I don't know how to get it. I have someone who is an experienced amp builder who can help me, but I wanted some more insight. I'm a metal band, but I play different styles too. My idea was having an amp with a Fender/Vox clean, Marshall(JCM 800) drive and Dual/Triple Rectifier for Gain. For valves I was thinking about 6L6s. Dimensions don't really matter as I can easily build a custom housing. I basically want a 3 band eq(Bass mids and treble) for every channel, spring reverb(I already have the unit) Stand by switch, volume and gain for every channel, resonance and presence knobs and a wattage knob(similar to he Laney Ironheart)16 and 8 ohms output for cabs(I'm going to pair is with a Marshall 1960b) For Preamp, I wanted between 4 and 6 17AX7s. Can anyone help me? How would I go about this? My idea was getting the schematics of each amp and mash them together, but I have no previous knowledge whatsoever.
    This has also been posted in Theory & Design, as I was unsure where to post it.
    Thank you

sure. and i would like to sleep with cameron diaz tonight, but that ain't happening either.

look, have you built something else before? because a complex project isn't the best way to start.

second. i built something like this before. 3 channels is a no way, i suggest you to drop one. currently i have a beautiful 2 channels, fender clean/soldano overdrive, with a fx loop. i had a slo100 build before (that would be another alternative), but i didn't care so much for the clean/crunch.
    another way to go would be a jcm800/ fender clean and a tube screamer.
    a very nice amps that goes in your direction is the bogner ecstasy. but if you don't have the pcbs you can't do anything.
    the reverb thing i would drop it in a second, personally i use delays on big amps with distortion.

look, IF you wanna do something like this the best place for you is the sloclone forum.

btw, eventual problems/ limits:

- big amps are not the best way to start and get out alive.
    - high gain designs are not easy at all to debug
    - high gain designs on a turret board may be a nightmare for noise and extremely big
    - a complex switching system is not a simple thing to design, and that would multiply the tubes number.
    - it is not easy to adapt pcbs to different designs, if it makes sense at all
    - complex builds require complex power transformers, which are custom and expensive.

if you add parts and time loss you'll actually save money buying a 5000$ amp

SMARTNESS = keep it simple

the wattage knob is a stupid idea, an attenuator is much safer.

regarding the "vox clean":
    vox (ac30 in mind) doesn't actually do clean. that preamp (top boost) is very similar to the plexi preamp, with more gain and compression. the eq hollows everything.the amp has no NFB and the power amp saturate early.
    the chime thing that you hear actually comes from the power tubes, they sound like that.

Comment

Originally posted by pietro_moog View Post
      sure. and i would like to sleep with cameron diaz tonight, but that ain't happening either.
      She said "Yes".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cameron Diaz.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	835602

Comment

she is a very beautiful woman, with humour too. i would love to find a woman like her

Comment

Dear Sirs,
          I have a balance potentionmeter on which is written M500K from the one side and N500K from the other side (i also have pictures) and i need a same one. The reason i need the very same one is because it has given me the gratest balance i can have. Do you know where i could find it? or have you got something similar to suggest?

Comment

http://tuneguitars.co.kr/wscmusic/wi...4&sub_view_1=8

Comment

Working...
            X