chassis for heavy transformers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chassis for heavy transformers

looking for a suitable chassis (steel or aluminum) for use with *heavy* transformers. (bass amp project) Most of the popular rackmount chassis enclosures include 1/16" aluminum top and bottom panels which just don't seem adequate for a pair of large transformers (+/- 25lbs for both)

who makes a 19" rackmount chassis with at least 1/8" top/bottom panels?

Could you make a 17.5"w x 8"d x 2.5"h or a 20 "w x 8"d x 2.5"h PROJECT BOX work ? They are .090" or 3/32".
    Watts Tube Audio ~ Everything Tube Amps! chassis.

JJ

Comment

It's more an issue of the concentration of the weight/force. Spread it out. Take some 1/2" or 3/4" aluminum angle and cut two lengths that go under the transformer mounting feet and extend some distance away, maybe 4-6". Bolt trannies and spreaders down to the skin every 2-3". Angle spreads the load and also reinforces the skin.
      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

+1 on the Watts Tube Audio Boxes. They are .090 thick AL and well made.
        I take my raw Watts boxes to a radiator repair shop and have them heliarc weld the inside corners.
        This makes the box really stout as far as heavy transformers " pancaking" the enclosure if the amp makes a sudden stop inside a truck or off the back of a stage. Overkill maybe, but I've seen a lot of stuff footballed when it was "in transit".

Comment

Chassis

This is my new amp.
          Not done yet but getting there.

JJ
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X