Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey check out this patina on a chassis I just finished up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey check out this patina on a chassis I just finished up!

This turned out pretty cool and just thought I'd share. The guy I was building this amp for (5f2-A) asked me to try a chemical patina process on his chassis and I obliged. I love trying new stuff. I did a little experimenting on some scraps and decided to apply the chemical to a heated chassis, rather than applying it cold which would have yielded a more uniform black color.

This is the site the chemicals came from. Kinda pricey for small quantities but not too bad I guess. I'm eager to try a turquoise colored patina on a future project.

We used the Slate Black: Traditional Black Patinas - Finishes

~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

I see you got rid of "Fledgeling" in your sig... time to take out "Noob" now! That's a GORGEOUS amp.

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Mighty cool! Looks more like tortoiseshell brown, kinda organic. Nice match to the wood. Will have to look into this.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Nicely done Mort.... !!!
        It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

That looks amazing great job

Comment

Really fine job.

Is that Tiger Stripe Maple?

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
              Really fine job.

Is that Tiger Stripe Maple?
              Yeah it's a low grade figured maple. The top has more figuring than the rest of the cabinet. I found it at a cabinet wood supply place out of state that regards the figuring as trash wood and they sold it off VERY cheap. I wasn't prepared for such a good deal and couldn't haul much wood. Next time I'm in that area I plan on really stocking up good!
              ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

I am impressed with the corner work on the cutouts.

No end grain snaggle.

And the top to side joints.
                Dovetail?

You must have a well equipped wood shop.

Comment

I actually use a $30 dovetail jig from harbor freight and a standard router. There's little gaps in the dovetails, but they get kinda hidden by the stain. It's by no means a pro job but is certainly passable imo. And it's strong enough that the four pieces that make up the shape of the cab are only held together by the dovetailed joints and a small amount of wood glue.

edit: oh and the cutouts are done carefully with a standard jigsaw with a somewhat skinny blade. It never comes out perfect with the jigsaw but some careful sanding can help
                  ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

All around great looking. Too pretty to leave the living room.
                    Speaker's impedance is a little too high for the OT.....

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo View Post
                      All around great looking. Too pretty to leave the living room.
                      Speaker's impedance is a little too high for the OT.....
                      Yeah, still waiting on the speaker to arrive.

And its owner said he chose the colors exactly FOR his living room, which is all decked out in mission style furniture and leather. Should blend right in to its new habitat.
                      ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Working...
                      X