• nsubulysses
    replied
    Everyone who's trying to help is awesome though

Leave a comment:

• Chuck H
    replied
    Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
    Charming.
    Sorry Chief. I just became frustrated. You're a frustrating person. With a broken SG and attenuator.

Leave a comment:

• eschertron
    replied
    Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
    So.. tell me which part in what I said makes you think its not working as it should then??
    If you haven't put a meter on the switch and verified that the switch poles match your diagram, then you simply can't assume that it is wired up correctly. As we say here in the states, "ya gotta do the math". I suggested that the attenuator needs to be looked at back in post #76

Leave a comment:

• nsubulysses
    replied
    I almost posted on this thread many times but refrained.

Somehow I knew this would make 100 posts with no resolution......

I'll leave the thread again.

Leave a comment:

• Sea Chief
    replied
    Originally posted by g1 View Post
    Then it is absolutely NOT "working exactly as it should".
    Why are you refusing to believe this?
    So.. tell me which part in what I said makes you think its not working as it should then??

You just wrongly assume I've wired it up wrong, like you wrongly assume my SG is fkd in need of repair when its not & its exactly as its meant to be.

Leave a comment:

• g1
    replied
    Then it is absolutely NOT "working exactly as it should".
    Why are you refusing to believe this?

Leave a comment:

• Sea Chief
    replied
    No, I made sure of the wiring (its very very simple, but even so Ive checked 4 or 5 times) and marked the jacks. I checked these 4 or 5 times too. The only possibility of error is in the viewing of the pot (I asked/ checked this here which concurred with www info).. or the switch, which has 6 terminals as youd expect from a dpdt, numbered as I mentioned. The only possibility is whether dpdt switches with 6 terminals do not have a common layout re their 6 numbers. I cannot get an answer to this, so I have to assume they -are- common in the positions they are, which are same as the layout diagram.

It works exactly as it should Im quite sure of this. At max rotation clockwise it makes no difference, & at max anticlockwise it lowers the volume quite a bit & fine for the Champ, but not enough for the DR to even hear any OD at normal volume.

Leave a comment:

• Dave H
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
    The amp should NOT be too loud at max attenuation. If it is then the attenuator isn't working properly. This might also explain the extreme treble loss.
    Perhaps the Chief has the jack plugs reversed? The sockets are on the same end of the box.

Leave a comment:

• Sea Chief
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
    You mention that the attenuator IS making the amp quieter. Well, anything messing with the load is going to take some of it from the speaker, making the amp quieter. The amp should NOT be too loud at max attenuation. If it is then the attenuator isn't working properly. This might also explain the extreme treble loss. Because I haven't noticed this with the units I've made. A little, maybe, but not worth mentioning. If you can raise your voice to talk with someone in another room, you should be able to crank your DR into this attenuator. And I'll state this again... If the attenuator is wired incorrectly it could damage an amp. Somehow you have managed to ignore that I've said all this already. And if you didn't ignore it, then you decided it was ok to proceed as if nothing is wrong even though it clearly is. And if you didn't do that, then you have assumed I am full of shit and don't know how my attenuator design works. In any of these three scenarios you are complicating matters for yourself and everyone else. And this is why I believe your SG isn't working properly. You often behave like a dysfunctional mess. How can you be trusted, or even trust yourself to assess anything objectively?
    Charming.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck H
    replied
    You mention that the attenuator IS making the amp quieter. Well, anything messing with the load is going to take some of it from the speaker, making the amp quieter. The amp should NOT be too loud at max attenuation. If it is then the attenuator isn't working properly. This might also explain the extreme treble loss. Because I haven't noticed this with the units I've made. A little, maybe, but not worth mentioning. If you can raise your voice to talk with someone in another room, you should be able to crank your DR into this attenuator. And I'll state this again... If the attenuator is wired incorrectly it could damage an amp. Somehow you have managed to ignore that I've said all this already. And if you didn't ignore it, then you decided it was ok to proceed as if nothing is wrong even though it clearly is. And if you didn't do that, then you have assumed I am full of shit and don't know how my attenuator design works. In any of these three scenarios you are complicating matters for yourself and everyone else. And this is why I believe your SG isn't working properly. You often behave like a dysfunctional mess. How can you be trusted, or even trust yourself to assess anything objectively?

Leave a comment:

• Sea Chief
    replied
    Originally posted by eschertron View Post
    I can +1 to Dave's recommendation. I play my champ(s) through a 2x12 set for 4 Ohms. Big sound! And yes, I've taken some bass out by lightening up the coupling cap between the 2nd gain stage and the 6V6 (try 1/2 to 1/5 the current value). Works wonders for the low E string, and especially anything with HBs.
    But I dont have two 12" speakers. I might try the cap if I can ID it.. but its clearly the attenuator sucking the treble away rather than the bass being ott though.

Tried the SG into the DR with bass on 1, vol 6.5 (attenuator maxed).. yes theres a bit more OD going on, defo on the point of breaking up: but its just still way too loud so I cant strum a chord firmly for eg. IThe attenuator is just not going to be of any use with the DR, unless I can get its max further (Ill try bypassing the 1R see if that does anything). It will come in handy for the Champ on a rainy day, to remind me what Im missing out on if nothing else!

Thanks, SC

Leave a comment:

• eschertron
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave H View Post
    If you are still playing the Champ through its piddly little speaker in its piddly litle box try it through the DR 12" speaker in its bigger box then it won't sound as piddly And that Champ circuit lets too much bass through. If you don't want to change a cap in the Champ to reduce the bass try a graphic EQ pedal and turn the bass down with that. The EQ could also be used to compensate for loss of treble with attenuatnion and even boost the signal for more OD.
    I can +1 to Dave's recommendation. I play my champ(s) through a 2x12 set for 4 Ohms. Big sound! And yes, I've taken some bass out by lightening up the coupling cap between the 2nd gain stage and the 6V6 (try 1/2 to 1/5 the current value). Works wonders for the low E string, and especially anything with HBs.

Leave a comment:

• John_H
    replied
    Originally posted by Sea Chief
    If Id known this amp just doesnt f**king bother to/ or break up only just out of reach @ 7 or so instead, like all my other f**king amps dont either.. then Id not have built it or tried this attenuator idea. Christ I f**king hate f**king amps!!!!
    Your true character is easy to spot. This message board would be a better place without you.

Leave a comment:

• Sea Chief
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave H View Post
    If you are still playing the Champ through its piddly little speaker in its piddly litle box try it through the DR 12" speaker in its bigger box then it won't sound as piddly And that Champ circuit lets too much bass through. If you don't want to change a cap in the Champ to reduce the bass try a graphic EQ pedal and turn the bass down with that. The EQ could also be used to compensate for loss of treble with attenuatnion and even boost the signal for more OD.
    Hi Dave H. I thought the attenuator by nature causes significant treble loss though? don't most have some sort of treble boost to compensate, and surely the basic idea of this rheostat + a few fat R's is similar?

Which cap to reduce bass then? I mighthave a look.. maybe thats a better idea than the 600pf bright cap Ive got on the vol pot.

Leave a comment:

• Sea Chief
    replied
    Originally posted by John_H View Post
    C'mon Man. Sooner or later the last few here that still respond to your narcissistic ploys for attention will realize that you're a troll.
    Ive rarely known such idiocy frankly if -you- are being the perfect example of a troll with yr 2 banal personal replies: youre an utter prick.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X