Ok to mount OT inside chassis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok to mount OT inside chassis?

It's a low power push pull amp, about 10W, with a spacious aluminum chassis. The OT is a Hammond 125E. Any problem with mounting it inside the chassis?

P.S. Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it.

Originally posted by elipsey View Post
    It's a low power push pull amp, about 10W, with a spacious aluminum chassis. The OT is a Hammond 125E. Any problem with mounting it inside the chassis?

P.S. Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it.
    I don't think there would inherently be a problem with that, but as with one on top of the chassis, where it's facing is important. If it's small enough, I think the ideal would probably be to have it attached to the inside side of the chassis with the magnetic field perpendicular to the chassis top.

Comment

Originally posted by Pdavis68 View Post
      I don't think there would inherently be a problem with that, but as with one on top of the chassis, where it's facing is important. If it's small enough, I think the ideal would probably be to have it attached to the inside side of the chassis with the magnetic field perpendicular to the chassis top.
      Thanks. It would be orthogonal to the power transformer, and about two inches from it.

Edit: I meant the nearest mounting lugs would be separated by about two inches, but of course the transformers would be mounted on opposite sides of the chassis, so their centers of mass would be separated by a distance greater than two inches, if this makes sense.

Comment

Thanks. It would be orthogonal to the power transformer, and about two inches from it.

Edit: I meant the nearest mounting lugs would be separated by about two inches, but of course the transformers would be mounted on opposite sides of the chassis, so their centers of mass would be separated by a distance greater than two inches, if this makes sense.
        I think the main thing is to make sure that the OT is oriented so that its magnetic field doesn't cross internal signal wires. By making it orthogonal to the plane of the chassis surface, you don't have to worry about that.

Comment

OK, I hadn't thought of that -- so which way should the laminations be oriented with respect to the chassis then?

Comment

OK, I hadn't thought of that -- so which way should the laminations be oriented with respect to the chassis then?
            If I'm not mistaken, I believe you want the laminations parallel to the chassis surface.

Comment

You want the laminations to go at a right angle to the power transformer's laminations, so that they won't couple to each other. If you mount it under the chassis I think the same rule applies, but it would depend on the chassis material also, at least as far as how much the chassis would shield things between the two transformers. The Supro Thunderbolt used an OT mounted on the bottom of the chassis.

Greg

Comment

Working...
              X