Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New amp build

Good evening all, would anyone be able to direct me to what I need,
    I want to build a tube amp cabinet from the ground up as a present for a friend,
    Minimum spec required
    10 - 20w
    2 channel (clean and dirt)
    Aux input
    Effects loop
    Ideally chassis no wider than 600mm

The cabinet and speaker is not a problem got that covered it's the amp build, in an ideal world I'm looking for a build doc with chassis, turret board templates and a Bom sorry to sound like I want the world just want to do it right and would like to know what I'm building is verified atlest until I have done a few amps

Much thanks in advance
    Dan

Get a kit which has all that; others will suggest *which* one to get.

I suggest you drop the 2 channel requirement, best kits are based on tried and true classic amplifiers, channel switching opens a huge can of worms.

I suggest instead you buildan amp with killer cleans or which can be tastily overdriven, and add extra dirt between guitar and amp, there´s 1000 good pedals out there, choose your poison yourself
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

What Juan said. But...

What is your experience level? I don't know of any scratch amp kits that include channel switching, but if you have some electronics experience it may be more do able.

And there are other criteria you didn't mention. Does the amp need to include a master volume for the dirty channel? That's a very different amp than one that doesn't because a master volume means all the clipping must derive from the preamp, but a non master amp may only need a single boost stage added to the overall circuit for distortion. So there may still be some refinement in the design criteria. And this will VERY likely lead to indications of a more complex design than you are likely to find in a kit. Which means you'd need to have some building, designing and or (at least) circuit building and copying experience. Short of that I don't think you'll want to sign up for this.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks for the input, pedal side of things I'm comfortable with so adding dirt that way is ok.
        The bit I'm trying to get my head round is what route to take if I go for a single channel build pedal friendly tube amp and as above killer cleans I'm geared up to fold and punch chassis so only template required and happy to source parts if I can save money but would need the Bom any suggestion for a brand nb with the aux input this is an important one for my friend

Comment

Find out what your friend plays (stylistically) and what guitarists he likes. Then research the amps those artists use. "above killer cleans" is a VERY subjective matter. If you build him something that gets him closer to the tones he already appreciates he should like it.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

And what is this AUX input you refer to? To me that sounds like the CD input on a practice amp.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yes exactly that it's just a straight input to output tbh volume can be controlled via the source if needed

Comment

Working...
              X