Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread may point to a chassis punch for IEC with fuse:

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=60283.0

I can't pull up the website right now--it seems to be down, but this is the search engine excerpt:

"Best way to punch IEC panel mount connector in boxes.
    Best way to punch IEC panel mount ... This one works well for integral-fuse IEC ... 1-018-X-861-25-9mm-x-21-9-mm-Rectangular-Chassis-Punch-Set-/291742396208?hash ..."

I assume the partially-shown link is to some ebay auction listing.

Comment

Okay, the GroupDIY server is back up from its hard drive failure, and here is the answer for an AFFORDABLE (74 pounds sterling) IEC with integral fuse punch, copied from the thread:

gyraf
      Global Moderator
      Aarhus, Denmark

Re: Best way to punch IEC panel mount connector in boxes.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 07:27:14 AM »
      This one works well for integral-fuse IEC sockets: | 31.4 x 28.3mm Hand Rectangular Punch & Die Combinations |

I've used these for a long time now...

Jakob E.

Comment

Originally posted by dchang0 View Post
        Okay, the GroupDIY server is back up from its hard drive failure, and here is the answer for an AFFORDABLE (74 pounds sterling) IEC with integral fuse punch, copied from the thread:

gyraf
        Global Moderator
        Aarhus, Denmark

Re: Best way to punch IEC panel mount connector in boxes.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 07:27:14 AM »
        This one works well for integral-fuse IEC sockets: | 31.4 x 28.3mm Hand Rectangular Punch & Die Combinations |

I've used these for a long time now...

Jakob E.
        Good Find! Well done, brother. Seems to be the best candidate I've seen so far(considering it's pretty much about a half millimeter off in each dimension from what I said I was looking for, it's probably safe to say nothing is getting much closer than that)
        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by uneumann View Post
          Sure - I've done chassis by hand before. The chassis layout and PCB circuits are pretty solid at this stage, so a hand-made pre-pre-proto isn't appropriate since the risk of surprises is low. The point of this project is to make something reproducible. So I'm pursuing a CNC fab process - which is something I've never done before. I'm learning about options and decisions that are unique to this process. I'm "debugging" the CNC/fab process.

I probably didn't clearly relate my goal... it's to create an amp design that is documented to the degree that anyone can download the info about the circuits, chassis, parts, etc... everything needed to order and build a version. I'm not selling anything, but I'm posting the info needed to order everything and build it. I see it as an "info kit" and an alternative to the many vintage amp kits with heavy PT and OT transformers. As an "open design" it may also lead to versions or uses I can't yet imagine.
          To close the loop on this... The first build (Version 1.1) of this project is done (pic below). Schematics and details are described at the BM Lite project . It was a pleasure to build and it's an amazing amp to play. Very happy with the outcome.

The chassis worked out beautifully and I'm "sold" on this approach to amp building. Let the pro's do the metal. One result of this experience is that I'd like to find and learn to use a mechanical CAD program that has standard format outputs for CNC fabrication. There seem to be a number of open-source and free programs out there and hopefully one of them doesn't need a 6 mo learning curve. Any suggestions? I'd like future designs to be turned into NC instructions more seamlessly - minimizing errors due to the drawing and translation processes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gut.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	844402
          “If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.”
          -Alan K. Simpson, U.S. Senator, Wyoming, 1979-97

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

https://sites.google.com/site/stringsandfrets/

Comment

Originally posted by uneumann View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]41845[/ATTACH]
            What is the finish on the chassis? It looks bead blasted.

Comment

Looks good!!
              I just may build this machine
              If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyP1955 View Post
                What is the finish on the chassis? It looks bead blasted.
                Actually, I don't know for sure. I thought it was sanded when I first saw it - whatever it is, I like it - it's a cool look. I may use the same finish on a front panel. I have not ordered one yet - but I imagine some black laser etching on this finish would look really good.

If you're really interested, check with Red River - I'm sure they'll tell you what they do.
                “If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.”
                -Alan K. Simpson, U.S. Senator, Wyoming, 1979-97

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

https://sites.google.com/site/stringsandfrets/

Comment

Working...
                X