Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got a good source for ac/ac adaptors with euro connectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
    does anyone think a 3 year old would recognize the difference between a tube amp and a solid state amp anyway?
    Dunno about three years, but as a young boy, I hated the bad intonation and out-of-tune sounds of the Rolling Stones songs I heard my big brother and sister play on the radio.

Obviously I didn't have the faintest idea what intonation was, and it would be another fifteen-odd years before I found out Leo Fender's cheapskate "three-barrel" Telecaster bridge was the source of the problem. But my little-boy ears had no problem recognizing that those guitars sounded out of tune.

Cheap turntables were everywhere back then, and the little DC motors inside didn't always run at the right speed. I remember being bothered when I'd hear a turntable running a little too fast or slow - the song would sound wrong because it wasn't at the right pitch. Worse yet, the rubber idler wheels would wear out, or the record would warp a little, and then the wow and flutter was unbearable. I guess I must have had a pretty good sense of musical pitch as a child.

Teaching kids to have discriminating ears might very well pay off in the long run, because we tend to get very good at things we learn when we're babies. Look up some YouTube videos of Emily Bear's musical prowess as a very young girl...she was and is utterly astonishing, composing music at a prodigious rate when whe she was three or four years old, and now fronting a three-piece jazz band playing her own original compositions, while still a teenager.

Of the musical instruments I've tinkered with, electronic keyboards are far and away the easiest to play. Even baby fingers can manage to press down an unweighted plastic key. Pushing down a thin wire (even a nylon string) under tension is something else entirely. Just sayin'.

-Gnobuddy

Comment

So I should have said "average 3 year old" or "normal 3 year old"? I appreciate your examples, but I wouldn't consider them at all typical.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        I wouldn't consider them at all typical.
        I honestly dunno, but I would suspect that kids have better ears than adults. For most of us, hearing damage starts young and progresses through adulthood, as we're exposed to all sorts of man-made noises that evolution never designed our ears to cope with.

Heck, just waiting at a bus-stop near a busy road is enough to damage your hearing, just due to the noise from traffic, not to mention the noise of the bus engine itself, when it finally arrives.

-Gnobuddy

Comment

Working...
        X