No announcement yet.

source for dead 9pin and 8pin tubes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're all going to laugh, but what I was able to do: got a piece of 16 or 18 ga. buss wire (can't remember which), whatever was closest to the pin thickness, straightened and took the burrs off the end, then inserted that into each hole on all the 9 pin sockets to make sure it went in OK and there was no mechanical resistance. Only one pin on one socket squeaked a bit when I pushed the wire in, and it wasn't one of the ones I soldered so not sure why it did that. It was a little harder to get in and out than the others. But I think the harder tube pins should make it in OK.
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

I had searched a long time on the web, and found mostly complaints
      That is usually the case about most anything. relatively few people write into internet forums to say, "this part worked as expected and caused no issues." Complaints are always over-represented on the internet.

Imagine hanging around the service counter at Best Buy. All you would see all day would be problems. No one brings back their new TV set to tell them it works as expected.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
        when I shake them in my hand, the pins rattle a bit
        well, they should !!!!
        They must "float" inside the rigid socket hole so they self align to tube pins.
        got a piece of 16 or 18 ga. buss wire (can't remember which), whatever was closest to the pin thickness, straightened and took the burrs off the end, then inserted that into each hole on all the 9 pin sockets to make sure it went in OK and there was no mechanical resistance. Only one pin on one socket squeaked a bit when I pushed the wire in, and it wasn't one of the ones I soldered so not sure why it did that. It was a little harder to get in and out than the others. But I think the harder tube pins should make it in OK.
        Sorry but again you missed it.
        The idea of soldering with a tube mounted in the socket is NOT making certain the hole won´t be filled with solder or whatever, but, as I mentioned above, that each pin sleeve is aligned to the matching tube pin.

Only in theory tube pins are parallel, in fact they are all slightly bent one way or the other, simply by handling.

Hoffmann is "curing" a non existing "illness", and the wrong way: he´s making certain socket is adapted "like a glove" to *one* particular tube ... and none other.

The proper Industry solution, of course, is to make slightly loose sockets , on purpose, so they will adapt any tube you fit there, unless having pins grossly bent out of shape.

FWIW here is a (seldom used) "pin straightener" tool, made out of brass or chromed steel, where you force fit Noval pin tubes.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
          well, they should !!!!
          They must "float" inside the rigid socket hole so they self align to tube pins.

Sorry but again you missed it.
          The idea of soldering with a tube mounted in the socket is NOT making certain the hole won´t be filled with solder or whatever, but, as I mentioned above, that each pin sleeve is aligned to the matching tube pin.

Only in theory tube pins are parallel, in fact they are all slightly bent one way or the other, simply by handling.

Hoffmann is "curing" a non existing "illness", and the wrong way: he´s making certain socket is adapted "like a glove" to *one* particular tube ... and none other.

The proper Industry solution, of course, is to make slightly loose sockets , on purpose, so they will adapt any tube you fit there, unless having pins grossly bent out of shape.

FWIW here is a (seldom used) "pin straightener" tool, made out of brass or chromed steel, where you force fit Noval pin tubes.
          Thanks Juan.
          The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

A lot of tube testers have pin sttraighteners. They have 30 various tube sockets, but one is just machined metal you can push a tube into .
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Belton sockets are fine. Many amp manufacturers use them (Marshall included) and I've never had any problem with them myself, plus they grip the pins nicely.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Wow am I learning a lot from you all!

Comment

Juan, something makes a little sense now. on the preamp tubes, pins 4 and 5 are jumpered together. I've seen some videos think it was on the mojotone web site, wher they take pliers, twist the pins hard, and squeeze them together then put a bunch of solder there, then those pin sockets won't move. Maybe that's the main reason for Hoffman's suggestion. My dexterity isn't what it used to be, found it very hard to get two wires in one pin hole, and route that wire over to the other pin hole (4 and 5). I hope I didn't screw this up.

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
                    ...I had searched a long time on the web, and found mostly complaints about all brands of tube sockets these days. I got the best ones I could find, by comments and reviews, which are Belton's. The 8 pin sockets have very thick tabs, and the sockets look to be made OK (not fantastic). The 9 pin sockets feel really cheap, and when I shake them in my hand, the pins rattle a bit, and the pins and solder tabs feel really cheap and flimsy. But, I couldn't find better ones. Antique Electronic Supply, Tube Depot, Hoffman, etc. all seem to sell the same ones. Any suggestions
                    Regarding suggestions: If you are only building personal amps and therefore don't need to source large quantities of tube sockets you can consider salvaging tube sockets out of old test equipment. I have a lifetime supply of such parts salvaged from old military, HP and Tektronix equipment. The donors were all free because I was in the last group hanging around the ham fest when they yelled out "everything in this pile is free." There are also people selling NOS Cinch tube sockets if you search around. The quality of these old sockets is far superior to the stuff offered by most of the common parts houses that cater to guitar amp builders. I realize that this isn't a long term solution for everyone but it works for me. Even the salvaged Cinch sockets have a lot of life left in them. During their service life they probably only had one or two tubes plugged in. The currently available sockets even have problems with the size of the mounting screw holes and the metal alloy used for the contacts and lead connections is often crap. When you think about it, the tube socket is the interface between your circuity and the tube which we think makes your amp so special. If it is at high risk of being damaged as it is being soldered to a wire then it is a good candidate for upgrade with a little extra effort and a little higher purchase price.
                    Tom

Edit - There is an interesting posting about tube sockets at 9 Pin Tube Socket for JCM900? | Telecaster Guitar Forum
                    Last edited by Tom Phillips; 09-27-2017, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                      Regarding suggestions: If you are only building personal amps and therefore don't need to source large quantities of tube sockets you can consider salvaging tube sockets out of old test equipment. I have a lifetime supply of such parts salvaged from old military, HP and Tektronix equipment. The donors were all free because I was in the last group hanging around the ham fest when they yelled out "everything in this pile is free." There are also people selling NOS Cinch tube sockets if you search around. The quality of these old sockets is far superior to the stuff offered by most of the common parts houses that cater to guitar amp builders. I realize that this isn't a long term solution for everyone but it works for me. Even the salvaged Cinch sockets have a lot of life left in them. During their service life they probably only had one or two tubes plugged in. The currently available sockets even have problems with the size of the mounting screw holes and the metal alloy used for the contacts and lead connections is often crap. When you think about it, the tube socket is the interface between your circuity and the tube which we think makes your amp so special. If it at high risk of being damaged as it is being soldered to a wire then it is a good candidate for upgrade with a little extra effort of purchase price.
                      Tom

Edit - There is an interesting posting about tube sockets at 9 Pin Tube Socket for JCM900? | Telecaster Guitar Forum

Thanks Tom. Just googled and wow those are nice, heavy sockets, and as you say, for builds for friends and family, don't bump the cost very much, but would be a very nice improvement. Thanks for the link to JCM9000 post. Reading...

Comment

Working...
                      X