Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mogami 2524 vs Mogami 2330 for in amp shielded cable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mogami 2524 vs Mogami 2330 for in amp shielded cable.

I bought and installed Mogami 2330 to put between the first tube and input sockets. Seems to work well enough as far as noise and sound goes. But I am having a hell of a time doing mod's on the amp. Every time I bend the cable where teh joint is soldered to the shielded end, it breaks off. The 2330 conductor wire is extremely thin. I bought it not knowing.

I just picked around on the Tube Depot web site, and found Mogami 2524. The conductor is 20ga, so it should be about as resilient to bending the soldered joint as any of the other joints. I don't have any clue about the suitability of either cable for these short runs inside the amp, capacitance, etc.

If I switch to 2524 from 2330, could it cause any problems that I don't already have?
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

It is just shielded wire inside the amp. It doesn't matter a lot what you use. if your current choice breaks too easily, use something else.

I used to tear down cassette decks and old VCRs for fun, and I saved the small shielded runs to the heads in those. Small, flexible, never had an issue with them. Free.

Or when you end that shield, instead of soldering it direct to something, solder a short pigtail wire to it, and then run THAT wire to ground. That inch of wire won;t cause problems. And if you like, slip a bit of heat shrink over the end of the cable with that short wire sticking out the back.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo. I think its more due to my 10 left thumbs and 5 right thumbs than the cable. The 2524 has 20ga wire inside, so I should be able to work without wrecking it! Wish I had 10% of your skills!!!
      The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Are you sure you aren't nicking the outer conductor when you strip it?

Comment

Hi Mozz, At first, that's what I thought I did. But later, I used a larger diameter stripper, and wound it around the insulation to score it, then pulled off that piece of insulation with my fingernails, and did this under my magnifying lamp to check both the conductor and that there were no pieces of broken copper.

I think I put too much solder on these teeny conductors on some of the joints. The ones that held up better were where I wrapped the conductor around, say, the input jack lug, and just put a bit of solder there rather than let solder wick up the thin conductor.

And, of course, I'm kinda klutzy with the fine stuff. Working on that. Wow is the inner conductor thin!

Comment

Working...
          X