No announcement yet.

20 watt single speaker bassman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes, the ports are in front, hiding behind the speaker grille, so people commonly refer to it erringly as a CB cabinet. here's a pic that I posted a while back, it's still in my attachments folder:

it's got 5 little ports, and those ports aren't big enough to fully vent the compressive force of the drivers on the cabinet air, so the ports tend to pump/whistle on large signals.

regarding the Infinite Baffle thing -- the term gets misused a lot and i'm guilty in that regard. ideally, a LF driver can be mounted on a rigid flat panel that's infinitely large with infinite space behind it, what engineers like to call a "half-space" mounting configuration. The ideally large baffle separates the front and rear soundwaves from combining to comb-filter the LF response of the cabinet. All open back speakers attempt to achieve this sort of arrangement, though none of them really pull it off, because everyone tries to trade away panel size for convenience, and they get all of the problems that go along with that compromise. To make the anti-combing effect work the panel dimensions need to approach the wavelength of the sound being produced. That tends to become more possible with a distorted guitar signal as the power spectrum is focused more on MF/HF content and bass tones get rolled away. Suffice it to say that that Mojo cab isn't ideal, but it's still one hell of a lot better than a Deluxe cabinet. It's easy to hear the difference that a larger baffle size makes.

People commonly refer to large closed back cabs as an approximation of an infinite baffle. technically, for that to apply the box has to be large enough that the compliance of the volume of air in the box would greatly exceed the compliance of the speaker's suspension (Vas in Thiele-Small terms). Not many MI applications satisfy those conditions -- everyone likes to design speaker boxes to have the smallest possible baffles to accommodate the radius of the driver for mounting. Nobody wants' to make boxes as big as they really need to be.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Really appreciate it.

Originally posted by bob p View Post
      If what you really want is a Tweed Bassman circuit then build a Tweed Bassman circuit, and adapt it to suit your needs.
      You're right and I've looked into some other options since. I figure the easiest way to keep the Bassman tone while still being able to use it for small-venue gigs and at home would be to use a 50 Watt L-PAD to reduce the overall power. My only concern is in regards to reliability. Would it be safe? What about the temperatures?

Again: Thanks

Comment

Regarding tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJbYaV3KP7Y https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Leo9HSaGQ A rhythm guitar tone in this vain is what I'm after. From what I know they also used Fulltone Tube Tape Echo pedal when playing live.

After reading your reply, I thought about what I really wanted to use the amp for. Playing at home: most definitely. Small venue gig: sure (If I ever find a drummer and bassist...).

Also: If this helps in anyway: I play a telecaster with standard pickups, which I will swap out for some nocaster one's

Comment

Originally posted by Frederick59 View Post
          ...I figure the easiest way to keep the Bassman tone while still being able to use it for small-venue gigs and at home would be to use a 50 Watt L-PAD to reduce the overall power. My only concern is in regards to reliability. Would it be safe? What about the temperatures?...
          I don't really trust the ratings the sellers give to such things. Therefore, if you want to try the L-Pad attenuator method then I recommend that you buy a 100W rated unit. There is one example at https://www.parts-express.com/speake...8-ohm--260-265
          Cheers,
          Tom
          Last edited by Tom Phillips; 01-25-2018, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frederick59 View Post
            I thought about what I really wanted to use the amp for. Playing at home: most definitely. Small venue gig: sure
            I wonder how well it would work for the above if you were to build the stock 5F6A circuit and use one of these speakers in your 1 x 12 cabinet? It could effectively dial the Bassman's 40W down to 5W.

Comment

Working...
            X