External fuse sockets. Mounting advice and safety rules question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External fuse sockets. Mounting advice and safety rules question

Supposed all types of fuses socket devices are agreed to be used from a standard safety perspective according to the law, I wonder if exist also some safety rules to follow when mount it ? I just imagine possible scenario when opening the cap the fuse remains stucked into the socket with a live end exposed, very possible. There are any safety rules for mounting external fuse sockets please ? Thx.
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Any intervention regarding the replacement of fuses implies that the device is previously disconnected from the voltage by disconnecting it from the wall.
    It's All Over Now

Comment

Sure it is but this didn't excuse the potential danger. Think more 100% safe. I remember in the past some external fuse sockets which can be opened just with a scew drivw but many can be opened by a child from curiosity.
      Last edited by catalin gramada; 12-17-2020, 09:37 PM.
      "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

The convention is that the live wire should attach to the rear post of the fuse holder (the terminal furthest from fuse-cap).
        I'm not sure if there are actual standards that dictate this.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

If 100% safety is meant, the only solution is fuses inside the device.
          External fuse sockets are made of more or less brittle materials (bakelite) where the moving part is subject to damage.
          Specific tools like scew drive may be the solution, but they are not practical because sockets are not standardized, so every guitarist must have a gallery of tools to replace the fuse.
          It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
            I just imagine possible scenario when opening the cap the fuse remains stucked into the socket with a live end exposed
            I think "touchproof fuseholders" were designed to prevent this.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
              The convention is that the live wire should attach to the rear post of the fuse holder (the terminal furthest from fuse-cap).
              I'm not sure if there are actual standards that dictate this.
              This solution is not possible at EU devices, because the mains socket is symmetrical, unlike western devices where the mains socket is asymmetric.
              In addition, when a faulty fuse is replaced with a correct, the voltage from the rear post of the fuse holder via correct fuse comes to the front fuse holder.
              It's All Over Now

Comment

Old style fuse holders allowed one to still touch the fuse with the cap off. But newer ones have the fuse recessed so this cannot happen.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

There are IEC socket and fuse combo units that force you to detach the Mains cable before you can access the fuse.
                  WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                  REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC-INLET-FUSE-HOLDER-3447-500x500.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	920573 Click image for larger version

Name:	BS1363plug_inside.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	920574 Click image for larger version

Name:	BS1363_externalFuse.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	920575
                    It's All Over Now

Comment

Even "touchproof" fuse holders and recessed (but still visible fuse) ones *can* fail and retain fuse and other end is live, so the one you touch too.

Only really safe one is the one included together with male IEC sockets, I use the stand alone version, which holds the fuse in a small plastic drawer or cradle, contacts are internal.

So fuse is either inside and surrounded by plastic or outside and **BOTH** contacts are outside, connected to nothing.

Similar to this cradle:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SEA_oth_02large.gif
Views:	147
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	920609

I couldnīt find images (wrong search term?) but I use the stand alone type, similar to tye lower section of this picture.
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                      X