Standby switch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standby switch question

Hello. Built the exact replica of stacked power supply as Hiwatt did (less stb indicator). The standby switch makes the amp thud as hell quake when switch on. The switch supply directly voltages to the plates and grids. Any ideea to suppress the thud with the stb switch in those position please ? Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by catalin gramada; 06-06-2021, 12:43 AM.
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Omit the standby switch.
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

You might try having your standby switch work only on the screen grids. Some high power amps do this, Ampeg SVT Classic is one IIRC. Worth a try, it will be a fast & easy experiment.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I tied the OT in UL configuration for a test. Same standby switch configuration after the bank caps linked directly to OT. The only noise I heard is mechanical click of the switch. No pops or thud at all. Think the thud is a function of how the pentode is supplied. If cannot be suppressed maybe the first power on transient can be canceled by a perfect balanced stage ....?
        "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
          You might try having your standby switch work only on the screen grids. Some high power amps do this, Ampeg SVT Classic is one IIRC. Worth a try, it will be a fast & easy experiment.
          Thanks. Allready did. Makes no difference,

Comment

Connect the standby switch as done on the Stramp 2100 amp.
            The standby switch is located between the preamp and the power amp, it connects the audio signal to the gnd in the standby position.
            Standby switch is noiseless because no any voltage passes through the switch (there are no transients).
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Stramp 2100a.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	933914
            It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
              I tied the OT in UL configuration for a test. Same standby switch configuration after the bank caps linked directly to OT. The only noise I heard is mechanical click of the switch. No pops or thud at all. Think the thud is a function of how the pentode is supplied. If cannot be suppressed maybe the first power on transient can be canceled by a perfect balanced stage ....?
              Yes, I think there must be some output stage imbalance involved.
              Maybe the screen section of the switch tends to chatter?

Or the screen voltage switching produces an oscillation burst?

Do you know if the Hiwatt 200 also suffers from this problem?
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
              X