Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could someone help with a resistor identification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could someone help with a resistor identification?

Hi MEF'rs

My father in law passed last year and he was a tv/radio repair guy in his day... I have been the recipient of many parts he had in a small stock - some cool old mustards, various tools etc. I have these two resistors that are marked as 15k and they are exactly 15k... so I am curious as to if someone can tell the type and a rough wattage rating by the casing?

One is marked "15k B49", the other "15k B∆9".

I think they are two watt (or slightly more) wire wound, but I am only guessing :-) - I have some Mills resistors that are 10 watt at the same size

here is an image of one of them... the leads are +/- 1mm.

Any guesses? Much appreciated!

"'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

Originally posted by Gtr0 View Post
    One is marked "15k B49", the other "15k B∆9".

I think they are two watt (or slightly more) wire wound, but I am only guessing :-) - I have some Mills resistors that are 10 watt at the same size
    I'll take a wild guess that "delta" mark is a misprinted 4. And I think your guess of 2W WW is good.

MIlls, whew, those are supposed to be jam packed with magic mojo vibes! At least, that's what I gather from the hi fi aficionados. Deadly expensive too, compared to "ordinary" resistors. I expect your 15K's may come in handy for some power supply build, and if you don't stress them past 2 watts, they'll last a very long time.

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I have similar looking resistors (brown glass enamel) of same size. They are marked as 5.5W.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210607_175235.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	934018 I know these are US mil spec taken from military circuit boards, but a bit bigger at 23mm. I'm guessing what you have are similiar. Some are marked 1W 1% RN25X which is mil spec for 1w (70c) 1000v. A couple of different makers. I would use as 2w at the very most.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mozz; 06-07-2021, 10:09 PM.

Comment

5.5W glass enamelled, wirewound resistor:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0355.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	600.8 KB
ID:	934022
          Attached Files
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post

I'll take a wild guess that "delta" mark is a misprinted 4. And I think your guess of 2W WW is good.

MIlls, whew, those are supposed to be jam packed with magic mojo vibes! At least, that's what I gather from the hi fi aficionados. Deadly expensive too, compared to "ordinary" resistors. I expect your 15K's may come in handy for some power supply build, and if you don't stress them past 2 watts, they'll last a very long time.
            Great - thanks. Yes, the Mills are extremely expensive - relative to your standard resistor anyway. I try as many different types and brands as possible... ranging from .10 cents to $10 resistors. For example, I love those Kiwame green carbon film resistors... which are typically used in hifi also and are about .75 cents or so. They claim to be more quiet than metal film.

Anyway, much appreciated @all for the help... it's cool to see that I have several parts from my late father-in-law to incorporate into this new amp build.

Cheers!
            "'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

Comment

Working...
            X