Yet another output power thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another output power thread

Don't know if anything is "wrong" but I'm not getting the output power I expected . Push pull 50L6's .HT1 is 160V . Screens 120V .Cathode bias 470 Ohm 14V .Drew up a load line , looked like 4k plate to plate would be best , load line through the knee . After I built it I got 1.5 Watt at onset of clipping . I was expecting about 4 Watt . Switched to the 8k tap and got 2 Watt . Perplexed , I started taking measurements . With sine wave input , 500 Hz , at onset of clipping the screen voltage dropped to 95V . Is this normal ? Spec sheet suggests 5ma increase in screen current time two tubes through 22k dropper would explain this . Need the dropper to get below max screen voltage . Is there any way around this ? 2 Watts would be OK , I've been asked to turn down my 1 Watt amp more than once , but I would like a better understanding of power amp design .

Please post schematic and tube datasheet.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I will try , I'm not good with computers . Vacuum tubes are logical , computers don't make any sense .

Comment

Comment

Look at that , it came up ! Hope you can read it . I'll try the data sheets .

Comment

What is the voltage of the sine wave input?
            looks to be an incomplete schematic. What is driving the 50l6's?
            https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/127/5/50L6GT.pdf datasheet
            nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Another pushpull amp and excellent forum right up there with this one.
              nosaj
              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

50L6 with 4k plate to plate load .

Comment

50L6 with 8k load

Comment

What made you choose a 470R cathode resistor?
                    That obviously results in very low plate current (15mA per tube).
                    Aim for a cathode voltage around 8V.

Start with 150R and lower if necessary.

The design examples are for SE operation.
                    With PP class A operation, plate load should be doubled.
                    Last edited by Helmholtz; 01-07-2022, 07:24 PM.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The amp is a 2204 tribute . Low voltage , low power . Preamp is taken direct from 2204 but with 20EZ7 instead of ECC83 . Cathode resistors scaled to give a proportional operating point . Power supply and outputs are different . PT is N-68X . 50 VA 1:1 , just one secondary . Bridge rectifier . 194 V unloaded . 160V with load .OT primary from HT1 . Splits in 3 to supply series heaters ( 50 , 50 , 20 ,20 20 ) , preamp supply through 1k , and screen supply through 22k shared and 1k individual . Max screen voltage is 110V or 125 depending on whose spec sheet you use . I think whats happening is when the signal goes up screen current goes up and causes a drop across the 22k . that drop compresses the characteristics so the load line hits the 0V line above the knee . I think at 20 something ma . The 8k load line gets you closer to the knee so more power but not as much as you would get if the screen voltage held . problem is you need the 22k to get the voltage down . I think the drive voltage at the power tube grids at onset of clipping was in the high teens maybe 20 . I could check again . I had wondered if I had enough drive but it seemed to clip right around the bias voltage and I still had more to go . I measured 2.5 watts dimed , if you believe my meter reading a square wave .

Comment

I chose 470R to get a deep AB to mimic the 2204 . Fixed bias seemed a little fussy . 8V is spec sheet value for single ended . Very little info on 50L6 push pull . Don't know how different it would sound class A . Probably louder . I guess this shows why they use that dual bridge dual rail supplies with those high voltage amps . Hotter bias may be the way to go . I don't think I want to get into regulated screen supplies on this project .

Comment

Class AB requires a cathode bypass cap. Otherwise you get considerable cathode degeneration.
                          And - as said plate load needs to be about doubled for PP, so no wonder 8k worked better..
                          Last edited by Helmholtz; 01-07-2022, 08:02 PM.
                          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Nosaj , thanks for the link . He use 90R on the cathodes . He also used AC heaters and half wave rectifier .I put the heaters on the dc side and a bridge . The bridge gave me 160V , perfect for 2x 50L6 and 3 x 20EZ7 . The 20EZ7 is a 12AX7 with a 20V heater . THe 20EZ7 has 100ma heaters so I had to parallel the with 1k2 5Watt to soak up the other 50ma .

Comment

Forgot to mention 22u cathode bypass . I'll draw a complete schematic when I stop making changes . I've just been marking up a 2204 schematic . By the way does anyone have a real one and is treble emphasis really that strong on the Hi channel ?

Comment

Working...
                              X