Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drilling brass plate for fender-like deluxe build rework

Hi All,
    Finally scrounged up a small drill press. Id like to rework the brass plate that I botched on a Deluxe Reverb build. Having some difficulty figuring out how to drill the pot holes in the right spot. I think if I drill it first, then have someone with a brake bend the plate, the holes probably won't line up. And if I get the plate bent first, and mark the holes with a sharp scribe, it will be a real challenge to clamp down into the drill press due to that odd angle. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    MP
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

I personally don't think it's worth the trouble.
    A ground bus wire soldered to pot cases a la Marshall will work the same.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thanks Helmholtz. That's what I have working (mostly) now, wasn't sure if it was 'the best way to go". I have a bus wire, its not soldered to the back of the pots, bit is connected to the turrets. Should I leave the plate installed and ground it separetely, e.g. wire from the plate, soldered to the chassis someplace?
      The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

With the bus wire connected to pot cases, a plate is not necessary.
        Ground wires connecting to the plate should be soldered to the bus wire instead.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

And I'll add...

If your bus wire is currently "connected to the turrets" the I have to assume these are two grounded turrets on the board? You should only be grounded on one end to avoid ground loops, noise or potential instability. Preferably the input end of the board and only use the bus for the preamp circuits.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The brass plate was there in the first place to be easier to solder to than the chassis. If you use something else to solder to, like a buss wire, then the brass plate serves no purpose.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I gather you don't have a Whitney XX Punch set. I never had the funds for a bench-mounted long-lever punch with their more-expensive punch & dies, but the XX punch I have has a deep throat, (and I have punch/dies from 1/16" thru 1/2") allowing me to punch all those thin brass plates that begin in the flat pattern,

Years ago, I invested in layout tools (calipers, small adjustable machinists squares & combination squares with blades out to 24". So after careful measuring of the hole locations onto a drawing, I'd then do the layout with a scribe and measurement tools to mark up the brass plate with scribe lines for punching the holes and bending. Granted, I haven't tackled a full width brass grounding plate as used in the earlier Fender chassis, but I long ago stopped trying to drill thru thin stock and find the resultant holes where I had intended them to have wandered a bit from their C/L, Without a small brake for bending, I'd clamp it on a flat surface, and slowly start knocking the flap into the direction of the fold Maybe even go as far as cutting the angle on the edge of the wood surface being used for the bending form so you can knock it into being flush with that 'wooden bend fixture'.
              Last edited by nevetslab; 02-06-2022, 08:28 PM.
              Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

https://www.tedweber.com/5e3bp/

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

This was patient zero, first amp build I ever did, so you can imagine what it looks like inside (despite my best efforts). I managed to drill the plate, can't believe its been this long, used that, removed it, put bus wires in, because I thought it was causing noise problems. Noise is still there. This was, without a doubt, the most fun project, thanks in large part due to you all, all your great suggestions and comments. Thinking about taking this amp back apart, and going through one last re-wiring, and try harder this time to make it as close to the original circuit as possible. its got a few odd things in there. And my first attempt at heater wiring is not, how should I say, photo worthy.

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
                    And my first attempt at heater wiring is not, how should I say, photo worthy.
                    Neither was mine. And maybe not even my most recent build

Comment

I think something like this. Click image for larger version

Name:	AB763_Deluxe_Reverb_Layout.gif
Views:	109
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	982400

Comment

Don't overlook that a Fender amp has quite a few not so obvious chassis grounding points including all input and output jacks as well as the reverb connectors.
                        At all these points ground return currents can flow into and through the chassis, making the chassis part of the circuit ground.
                        So when you deviate from the original ground wiring, results are hardly predictable.

To me the original grounding of my vintage Fenders works well enough.
                        Last edited by Helmholtz; 05-15-2023, 02:36 PM.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                          Don't overlook that a Fender amp has quite a few not so obvious chassis grounding points including all input and output jacks as well as the reverb connectors.
                          At all these points ground return currents are flowing into and through the chassis.
                          So when you deviate from the original ground wiring, results are hardly predictable.

To me the original grounding of my vintage Fenders works well enough.
                          Thanks, Helmholtz. Yes, that's where "I am" now. Ive re-read Merlin's chapter on grounding, looked at what I did in my franken-deluxe build, then re-read the layouts, looked at more photos of the original amps. I have a brass plate that I had originally made, badly. Its too thick so that the shorter threaded section of the pots don't have quite enough thread for the nut to hold the pots in, with the thick plate in there.

The grounding "scheme" I have now, is, I think, causing ground loop/hum issues. As you write above, I counted something like 16 or so ground points, tied in to the chassis directly. Im sure I don't understand the brass plate thing. The plate is not soldered to the chassis, it has, in the factory 64 amps, several wires running from the turret board. So, that plate could have "good" grounds to the actual chassis in multiple places? As the years go by and the brass and steel oxidize.

Comment

In the other tread we already told you that the brass plate can be replaced by a bus wire (I'd use maybe 1.5mm dia) running along the backs of the pots.
                            Run the ground wires from board to bus along the chassis to minimize magnetic loop area.
                            Are you really sure you have a ground problem? What's the frequency of the hum? Scope pics?

Pease don't jump between different threads.
                            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                              In the other tread we already told you that the brass plate can be replaced by a bus wire (I'd use maybe 1.5mm dia) running along the backs of the pots.
                              Run the ground wires from board to bus along the chassis to minimize magnetic loop area.
                              Are you really sure you have a ground problem? What's the frequency of the hum? Scope pics?

Pease don't jump between different threads.
                              Thanks, Helmholtz, just went back and forth, got all the info you guys posted now.
                              And, sorry about bouncing threads, its annoying. I'll stop doing that.

After reading through a bunch of threads again, I think there is a ground loop at least. maybe other issues. What I did had two problems: I did not do the ground bus wire correctly. So, the input jack must have a ground there due to the Fender wiring. I ran a bunch of wires to the chassis, under the turret board right below where first input jack is. And there is the "dirty" ground lug near the power transformer, with: 1) the negative side of the reservoir caps, and 2) center tap for the transformer. But the ground for the 2 reference resistors is grounded at another point. And also you mentioned the reverb ckt. So I think there are at least 5 places that circuit reference is tied to the chassis.

I will start to take it apart and write down all MEF suggestions and make a plan. (and not drive everyone crazy with thread switching )

There is a lull at my work (praise the lord) so I have some time nights and weekends to get this amp cleaned up. Mike K posted some photos on the other thread, wow, wish I could get to that level of wiring lead dress.

General question, sorry if its a dupe: It looks to me, untrained eye, that Fender, when they worked out the original amps, they minimized the length of every wire put into the amp. The wires from the ckt board to teh brass plate, very short. The wires from the ckt board to the tube sockets, same. And they didn't use any wire on the pots, they just soldered to the back of the pots.

For the preamp end, could long, rambling ground wires pick up signals? maybe in addition to ground loops, some of these wires are picking up junk that if the wire was shorter, or not there at all, would be ok?

(Thanks to everyone for putting up with me! )

Comment

Working...
                              X