Jetsons amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetsons amp

Does anybody have a copy of a picture that was posted by user Baxtercat of an amp he built that looked like something you'd see on an old Jetson't cartoon ? I think it was first posted in this thread:

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ke-a-good-idea

It was just a link to another site that is no0w broken. Later, someone re-posted the link in this thread:

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...our-amp-builds

As I remember, it was oddly shaped on four skinny legs. Baxtercat hasn't been here in several years, but I think he can be found on facebook > bob.ohsiek .
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Maybe something John Mergili made?
    Last edited by mozz; 02-10-2023, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Baxterat had a thread about it at the gear page also. You participated. The images are no longer available there either but *oogle images still brings up the thumbnails.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bcj2.png
Views:	159
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	977673
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

When you said Jetson's I remembered a Vox ad photo in the Aspen Pitman book. I can't find an image of one of these that actually exists.

Name:	vst1.png
Views:	172
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	977675

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

You nailed it Chuck H ! I was looking for an amp that goes along with this guitar:

Name:	Kurt_Hendrick_1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	977687

Read about the guy who designed it here: https://www.vintageguitar.com/15997/kurt-hendrick/
          Attached Files
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

That is awesome! I like anything with a late 50's/early 60's "modearn" look. The lines. The color. It's great.

EDIT: I think the headstock gives it away as a later era... But they got it 'right'. And that's what matters. Very cool guitar. And I'll bet it would be fun to play too with the Chandler type neck pickup and the PAF (looking) bridge. Probably some fun tones from it.
            Last edited by Chuck H; 02-11-2023, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Yeah, that's pretty cool looking. It reminds me of this Formica guitar I stumbled across on the web that sort of makes you feel like you're sitting in an old diner.

https://daddy-mojo.com/new-products/...03rx26g2ewbsmb
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                Yeah, that's pretty cool looking. It reminds me of this Formica guitar I stumbled across on the web that sort of makes you feel like you're sitting in an old diner.
                I'd LOVE to play that!

I was always fascinated with the different, but still really cool tones I got from Teisco, Hondo, early Takamine, etc. guitars. Just the worst guitars but they sounded so woody, reedy and cool sometimes with some tones. I've set up innumerable guitars of the like for players that wanted to actually USE them. Adjusting frets to match neck relief, bridges for intonation, adding shims for neck angle to achieve proper action and even wax potting otherwise unusable pickups. I gravitate toward higher end guitars personally (all Warmoth frankenstrat, Gibson LP Special, Yamaha SBG, etc.) but I've always had a soft spot for the vintage cheap ones for some reason.

Though THAT guitar doesn't look "cheap" per se'. More like it was a designer consideration. But I get the vibe looking at it and that's what attracts me.

Comment

For me, it's a bit weird. It's mostly not been about price. I'll just pick up a guitar and it's right. It feels good and makes the sound I like. Sometimes, it's something I can't afford to buy. Other times, it's something many would consider trash. One of my favorite axes is an 80's Ibanez Roadstar that I originally bought cheap, just for a spare- in case I broke a string on my Les Paul. I never intended to play it much, but it just plays so well. It's like that beat up old sweatshirt that you should probably throw away, but can't because it's just so damn comfortable. The only real modification has been new/upgraded pickups. There are gouges in the fretboard that have been filled with assorted glues and fillers. It's been refinished twice, which is another long but funny story- once because it was beat to hell, and a second time because the first redo sucked.
                  Last edited by The Dude; 02-14-2023, 03:12 AM.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                    I'll just pick up a guitar and it's right. It feels good and makes the sound I like. Sometimes, it's something I can't afford to buy. Other times, it's something many would consider trash. One of my favorite axes is an 80's Ibanez Roadstar that I originally bought cheap, just for a spare- in case I broke a string on my Les Paul. I never intended to play it much, but it just plays so well. It's like that beat up old sweatshirt that you should probably throw away, but can't because it's just so damn comfortable
                    Well to be fair the Roadstar's have long been considered 'sleepers'. The Ibanez Artist guitars were too for a time and are now collectible.

I had a pretty damn nice Japanese made Standard Stratocaster that I bought new for cheap on sale at GC when they first started their commissioned guitar orders with Fender. I think I paid $299 for it. I was more of a Gibson player at the time and into tones that I wasn't getting from the single coils so I sold it (actually I traded it). I sure wish I had it now. To play on as well as for it's current value. Who knew?. Another favorite was a Yamaha SBG200. Also a cheap guitar being the lowest end of their line. But it was REALLY sweet with chimey trebles, snappy but round lows and a nice low action. This guitar was the reason I got into the Yamaha brand and I've owned three other Yamaha guitars since then.

So I do get what you're talking about. My history IS peppered with inexpensive guitars. It just happens that the ones I still have are considered 'pretty nice'. as such things go.

Comment

Working...
                    X