What I'm working on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I'm working on...

Seen as how I'm around for a minute, I figure I might as well put out what I have on my plate currently.

Fair warning, it involves solid state! Hope that's OK.

I had a request from a local musician to help reduce the weight, consolidate and improve the tone on his coffee shop gig rig. He's currently using a Martin acoustic guitar with a number of time based FX into a Peavey Backstage SS guitar amp.

He initially wanted to try a tube compressor, particularly an Altec 436C type (variable mu) but I managed to talk him down from that, thinking it might not be that great for guitar given many cheaper, solid state options. Anyone willing to change my mind on that, I'm all ears. I'm sure he'd still be interested.

I did manage to convince him to try a stereo setup and we are waiting for a 1x8x10 "Maggie" cab from Weber to do some testing with. I think we'll just hook up some SS guitar amps and see how our speaker selection is, then if we like it, I have a plan to build him a SS 2x20W stereo power amp in that enclosure. Right now our speaker choice is two Jensens - a MOD 8-20 8" and a Jensen Jet Falcon 40W 10". Not so sure how this all will sound so we plan on testing first - see if we're going in the right direction. If not we might set this aside and try a ported enclosure with different drivers, and possibly scrap the original or build it into an electric tube stereo setup...

As far as the preamp, he is using a solid state device now, and wanted the tube compressor to "warm things up". I've convinced him to try a tube preamp instead so we're going to work that end of the signal chain as well. Typically, what I've done in the past for tube acoustic preamps was designed them to be as flat and quiet as possible, and assumed another device, like a graphic eq would be used for tone shaping, but he wants to try some passive tone shaping within the preamp. I'm not really sure where this will go so we're going to start with the tried and true "Fender" TMB and see how that sounds. I'm not really well versed in acoustic tone shaping, so any pointers, I'd be all ears. But he's not exactly going for "acoustic" tone either. He's heavily modifying it with all sorts of FX and really just using and acoustic guitar for aesthetics. He could and may just as easily switch to a "clean" electric or semi-hollow.

Curious why you're using 1 x 10 and 1 x 8?
    Sounds like will be a cool setup. Hope maybe you can convince him to post a sound clip or two someplace.
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Speaker choice mostly for weight and sonic difference. He's using a 1x15 now but that's very heavy. The idea I believe was to have this amp stereo and less than 20 lbs (I can't seem to find the email where he asked but that's what I recall). I'm pretty sure with a toroidal power transformer, these speakers and a pine cab, we'll hit that.

We may package the tube preamp into this cabinet, but I'm not sure that's going to be ideal. It would be nice because I'd mount the SS power amp down on the bottom with the heat sink on the top, and that would give the best air flow for this cab but in terms of cabling, I'm not sure having both in the same cab is the best idea. The weight of the tube pre should be negligible, maybe a couple pounds.

Comment

Cool, very interesting project. If you can post photos, would be great to see it unfold, if you don't mind showing.
        The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Yeah - sure will. Waiting on the cab still.

Comment

Working...
          X