Brown/Blonde Fenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown/Blonde Fenders

It seems like everyone builds tweeds. I have seen a few posts here about brown clones (brown deluxes mostly), but is there any reason browns and blondes aren't as popular to build as tweeds and blackfaces?

I have been considering tackling a brown super for a next build, but as stupid as it may sound, I am kind of nervous about it because nobody else seems to build them. Any idea why the 6g4a (or other blondes/browns) aren't very popular for homebuilders? Do they have some undesirable trait that I am unaware of? Too complex? What is it? Since it is very unlikely that I'll ever get to play a real brown super, I have to trust the wisdom of the folks here. Anyone?
    In the future I invented time travel.

One thought: maybe people are less attracted to building amps with octal tube preamps than the more common 9-pin tube preamps.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      One thought: maybe people are less attracted to building amps with octal tube preamps than the more common 9-pin tube preamps.
      But Brown and Blonde Fenders use 12a_7 preamp tubes, not octal tubes.

Comment

Sorry, I was thinking of older units like the 5C4 5C3, etc.

The 6G4A certainly is a lot more complex than the 5E3.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I think principally the browns & blonds get overlooked because, unlike the AB763, they don't have reverb (excepting the 2x10 Vibroverb, which was reissued for a while by Fender). The tweeds don't have reverb either but are usually a whole lot less parts (look at that 3 tube vibrato in the 6G4A). The vibrato on the 6G#A Super/Bandmaster/Concert/Pro/Vibrasonic/Twin is probably the best sounding that Fender ever made. Nowadays alot of them have audible quirks (thumping, chirping, generall sqirrellyness)...probably always did...

Browns/Blondes can still be found relatively easily, at reasonable prices, even on E-bay (they are the most common pre '76 Fenders I work on)...it would undoubtedly be cheaper to buy one & service it.

Comment

I just read an article on the vibrato circuit in the 6G12 Concert Brown, which is more like a phasor.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...t_Vibrato.aspx

That might be an interesting tone.
            See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
            http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Comment

It just sounds like a slightly smoother, greasier Fender vibrato...didn't Victoria borrow the circuit for their outboard reverb/trem device?

Many amps with these hi vs lo frequency 6G# circuits take some careful dialling in to stop thumping & chirruping. If you're used to bias trem, like the 6G# Tremolux/Vibroverb & 90's Custom Vibrolux Reverb, then it's probably not going to change your life. Both these methods sound sweeter to me than the "choppy" LDR used on later Fenders.

Comment

Originally posted by MWJB View Post
                I think principally the browns & blonds get overlooked because, unlike the AB763, they don't have reverb (excepting the 2x10 Vibroverb, which was reissued for a while by Fender). The tweeds don't have reverb either but are usually a whole lot less parts (look at that 3 tube vibrato in the 6G4A). The vibrato on the 6G#A Super/Bandmaster/Concert/Pro/Vibrasonic/Twin is probably the best sounding that Fender ever made. Nowadays alot of them have audible quirks (thumping, chirping, generall sqirrellyness)...probably always did...

Browns/Blondes can still be found relatively easily, at reasonable prices, even on E-bay (they are the most common pre '76 Fenders I work on)...it would undoubtedly be cheaper to buy one & service it.
                Interesting. I think you might be on the right track there. Though I cannot seem to find a brown for sale anywhere...maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Comment

After I built several blackface amp clones (different types from champ II over deluxe reverb to twin reverb) I figured the same like you and built a brown vibroverb clone. The main difference of this amp to the standard blackface tone stack is the 350k pot for treble with a 70k tap (look at the schematic). I used orange drops for capacitors but wasn't that satisfied with the sound (somewhat harsh and brittle) so I changed to german WIMA caps (they sound very lush and creamy with a good overall response of frequencies. Lots of (tight) bass and chimey treble.
                  The sound of this brownface clone sure is different from my blackface clones but I like it alot. I'm currently building a brown deluxe clone (I have to say that my recent builts all have more than one channel with the second channel having one more gain stage for lead sounds). Same here. The first channel will be the standard brown deluxe (bright) channel. For the lead channel I just add a third gain stage. One more great thing is that the brown deluxe contains a lot less parts than any other amp I built before. I'm really curious what it will sound like.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by txstrat View Post
                    I'm currently building a brown deluxe clone
                    Matt
                    I think that's what I am going to. I was also considering a tweed tremolux, but it seems like this has the same trem plus a different voicing than a tweed (already built a tweed and I love it, just looking for something different). The super may be a bit more amp than I want, so that deluxe is just about right. Brown might just give me that "different" sound I am looking for.

Comment

"Though I cannot seem to find a brown for sale anywhere...maybe I'm not looking hard enough." Evidently not, there's a Concert and a Super on e-bay right now, if I spent a bit longer on Google I could undoubtedly find more...?

They don't come up eveery day, but they're not hard to find if you're patient. They can't be...most players i know have at least one, some have/have had several.

3x10" Bandmasters are hard to find, I have seen 6G3 Deluxes but not that often.

Princetons, Concerts, Pros & Supers are out there, as are head & cab Bandmasters & tremoluxes (be aware late blonde Tremoluxes can be blackface circuits).

Comment

I think the 5G13 and the 6G13 look interesting. Either of those trem circuits look intriguing.

I must build one (soonish)
                        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I decided to go for the 6G3 because the difference in the tone stack is what I want to try out. Some say the tone stack with only volume and tone pots is more sophisticated than the standard blackface one.
                          If I like the overall sound I might try it with a different power section with 6L6. Just not to have to crank it up all the way on stage for a cleaner sound. Even if the saturated sound (when driven) is part of it's legend.
                          Well, why not think about two different switchable OTs?

Matt

Comment

"If I like the overall sound I might try it with a different power section with 6L6." You might have to do a bit of re-voicing (smaller coupling caps, tweak cathode bypass caps)if going this route, as you go up to 6L6 and larger power supplies it will get harder to dial out unwanted bass, which may make the amp stodgy, overly thick with poor fidelity/headroom? It can be done, but a bit more work than just a cut & paste job.

It's less of an issue with 6V6/EL84.

Comment

Concert Brown

Since we are on topic of Fender Brown amps, if anyone is interested I have a 1960 Fender Brown Concert I am looking to sell. It is dead stock except for the tubes. The vibrato is the best you have ever heard guaranteed. PM me if you are interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X