Flux band question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flux band question

Hello. Have some ready made chassis with OT posed in very proximity of inputs and first gain tube and I wondering if using a copper flux band around output transformer will help to deal with interferences by any tranny leakage if any, please ? (Just as preemptive measure).So my question regard if a copper flux band will make any OT free of leakage or reduce the leakage to almost none please ? Thanks.
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

In my experience, using the headphone trick while orienting PT vs OT, using Fender OEM PTs with copper bands, answer is...seems just like PTs with no bands.
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

A very low resistance flux band can significantly reduce the leakage field of a transformer particularly at higher frequencies (by Eddy current effect).
      I've never seen it used with an OT, probably because OTs typically have better coupling and thus less leakage than PTs.
      It will also work with an OT.
      Can't say if it's necessary in your case. Also consider that a steel chassis provides magnetic shielding.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

+2 on Helmholtz assesment. And especially +1 on xtian's mention of orienting the OT by the headphone method. The OT placement isn't solely dependent on it's proximity and orientation to the power transfomer. For any new layout this is best practice.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
        X