Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power question(s) on a Bassman

Hey all!

I am quite new to this whole amp building; I am trying to learn . From the amps I build all worked fine!

Right now I own an ELK Twin 60 amp that I rebuild in a Blackface bassman; it works great (subbed the 6L6 with EL34's and added a GZ34 tube rect).

The amp runs on 2x 330V and I subbed the choke for a 1k resistor (25W). Now the voltages on the OT are higher then specified on the Blackface bassman schematic but the PI and preamp voltages are spot on. Does this have any (dis)advantages?

Second question; I tried the bass channel and although I play bass it comes close to the BassKing I own. I subbed the bass channel with a '59 bassman preamp. Right now the '59 runs on the voltages of the Blackface bassman which is approx 80V too high.
    A. is it preferred to fix this? Is a higher voltage on this preamp a good / bad thing?
    B. How should I fix this? Add another filter stage to bring down the voltage or (and I am really free-thinking here) can I add a second power stage parallel to the blackface's........

Thanks!
Working...
X