Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pacificaudiomagnetics.com

https://pacificaudiomagnetics.com/#
    Anyone? I guess i signed up for emails at one point. Prices aren't crazy high. Red series are a lot cheaper but no pictures yet? Also noticed some specs on old Fender outputs trans are not what i was expecting to see.

Never heard of them.
    Not exactly cheap.
    But it is an alternative.

Comment

Pacific is an old name in transformers. But their lower-cost, red series is new. An ampgarage.com member recently received a set:

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36725
      --
      I build and repair guitar amps
      http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

I cringe when I see the first ad line as, "The best sounding transformers ever built at this price point", hinting that the main difference between transformers is audio quality.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Pacific has the distinction of having been solicited for OEM and used by TrainWreck circuits before Ken's unfortunate and untimely demise. They will ride this as much as they can of course. Having been OEM for Trainwrek is no small claim. Does it matter for what they're doing now??? Probably not. Ken ordered proprietary units of his own specifications. So what are they selling to command higher prices? They might as well dig Ken up to eat his bones just to see if they $h!t money. Disgusting.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Well if they been around since 81 then they are vintage accredited. I am glad they are surviving this economy. Last few years has seen some old businesses call it quits. Hopefully they are making a good product. As far as eating bones and pooping money that is customary amongst all modern business models these days.
            When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
              Well if they been around since 81 then they are vintage accredited. I am glad they are surviving this economy. Last few years has seen some old businesses call it quits. Hopefully they are making a good product. As far as eating bones and pooping money that is customary amongst all modern business models these days.
              Agree. Grudgingly. At the very least they do have specs and tools to make transformers used in actual TrainWreck amplifiers. Where else is anyone going to get those? Some might say it doesn't matter as much as all that. But if you're going for authenticity there aren't many games in town. So, yes, good they've survived.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Who makes the Dumble transformers? Those should be worth their weight in gold.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I almost bought some of these for a late 60s spec Plexi build. Not bad prices. Pretty much in the ballpark pricewise of everything else except for those psychopaths at Mercury.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                    I don't even know what tansformers were used in Dumble amps. And I have to wonder why. If I were to speculate I'd say it's because the Dumble amp circuits were a lot more complicated than the TW circuits. Not to mention the epoxy board "secrets" that prevented it. So there were fewer DIY cloners searching for the finite details of those amps? Or maybe it's because the Dumbles were actually master volume amps so the OT wasn't considered as important in the overdrive tone?

At any rate... Who made them?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_L View Post
                      I almost bought some of these for a late 60s spec Plexi build. Not bad prices. Pretty much in the ballpark pricewise of everything else except for those psychopaths at Mercury.
                      Metropoulos gets the nod for OT's WRT plexi builds on many forums. Nothing but net for reviews on their product. But that can be subjective as always. I didn't look into pricing but it can't be any worse than Mercury.

EDIT: I wonder what transformers Friedman uses. I've been consistently impressed with the tone of his plexi style amps. You know how there are run of the mill old Marshalls and then there are the best sounding examples that stand out some how? Well Dave's amps somehow all sound like good ones. I met him at NAMM in 2009 and he's a super nice guy with a lot of enthusiasm.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

Metropoulos gets the nod for OT's WRT plexi builds on many forums. Nothing but net for reviews on their product. But that can be subjective as always. I didn't look into pricing but it can't be any worse than Mercury.

EDIT: I wonder what transformers Friedman uses. I've been consistently impressed with the tone of his plexi style amps. You know how there are run of the mill old Marshalls and then there are the best sounding examples that stand out some how? Well Dave's amps somehow all sound like good ones. I met him at NAMM in 2009 and he's a super nice guy with a lot of enthusiasm.
                        I'm certainly no expert but I'd bet Dave's amps would sound good with just about any transformers.

I've had what I think is just fine results from Heyboer and Mojo for basic common stuff. They seem to be pretty robust and accurate. And really for me, like tubes, something that just works reliably is more important than the .000001% tone potential one piece might have over another.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                          He used off the shelf transformers that are available to all of us. Most were standard Fender originals or replacement versions marketed from the common resellers.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

Pretty sure Metropoulos uses Heyboer Iron. Had a few Metropoulos and Freidman heads come in over the last half year or so, but never cared to check the manufacturer of the iron. Only mention the Metropoulos/Heyboer thing because I have the vague image in my head seeing the Heyboer brand sticker on the PT and OTs. I also recognize their part numbering system, so they're pretty easy to spot if there's any identification left on them.
                            I'll try and make a point to check them out next time we get one in if I remember.
                            If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Edcors version of an EL84 PP output (XPP25-7.6K - 25W​) costs less than half the PAM model (PAM-OT-18-31R)

$57.77 vs $124.88, and the Edcor includes 40% screen taps...

Comment

Working...
                              X