Peavey Mace revival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Mace revival

Well I came across a Peavey Mace amp at a local Pawnshop. 160W hybrid Tube amp. Someone had ripped the Chassis and Reverb Tank out of a Combo and made a very poor representation of a Head out of it. It had a really bad noise issue when I tried it out. So I called on a friend who knows his way around amps. [] I explained what it was doing and that they wanted 120 for it. He said the parts are worth way more than that, grab it. It probably isn't much to fix. So I went bacck to the Pawnshop and talked to the Manager. I explained that I had tried the amp a couple of times and it had some issues and it was missing tubes and explanied about the poor crafstman ship of the Head conversion. He said gimme 65 bucks. So I took it home. After picking my friends brain and doing some research on Musical Electronics Forum, I checked the IC's in it. One was over heating. So I got the amp up and running by swapping out the IC from the Reverb circiut to the one that was cooked. Now I am Sans Reverb until I can order a replacement IC. So now she's running. But the poor head is just killing me. So off to LOWE"S and WALMART for supplies.
    I took all the dimensions off the 77 Peavey Classic 50 212 combo I have and constructed a cabinet, then I covered it in batting and outdoor fabric that has PVC backing on it. All that is left is to order speakers for it.
    Anyone have 2 12" speakers of at least 75 watts they are wanting to sell or trade something for.
    Here is a link to the PIC's of what I have done so far.

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s...Peavey%20Mace/

Now I just need some good 12 in 16ohm speakers and the TL604IC, anyone have either they want to sell?

Nice work...

Hi,

Nice work on the amp! I have an original Peavey Mace, and just recently replaced the original speakers with Celestion G12T100s. They sound fantastic - much better than the originals. I bought a set of 4 of them from Avatar on Ebay for about $160 plus shipping. You can find cheaper speakers, but not better. If you have questions about the dimensions of the original cab, let me know (although it looks right in the pictures - and far past the time for changes).

Comment

Was that 160 for all 4? Is Avatar an individual or a Store? I would like to put some better speakers in mine.

Thanks for commenting on the cab. I took the measurements from my 212 classic from the same era, so I think the dimensions are fairly close.

Comment

Avatar is a company that makes cabs: http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

Have you had any luck on the TL604? I have a deuce board that I'll never use again and it may have that IC on it. Where is it physically located on the board?
        -Mike

Comment

I bought all 4 speakers for $142.50 plus $29.00 for shipping back in July. Just checked Ebay, and they have the same set on sale right now. Of course, you can always just order them directly (at the site shown in the other reply), but if you are patient and watch the Ebay auctions you might get a better deal. They list their speakers as straight auctions (rather than buy-it-now), so the prices vary dramatically. I have heard that Avatar is the largest reseller of Celestion speakers in the U.S., so their prices are competitve, and I was happy with their customer service.

Comment

Originally posted by defaced View Post
            Avatar is a company that makes cabs: http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

Have you had any luck on the TL604? I have a deuce board that I'll never use again and it may have that IC on it. Where is it physically located on the board?
            I had to jumper it out. I was not able to find one for a reasonable price. There are 4 of them on the board. one in the reverb circuit, one in the phaser circuit on in the normal and one in the effects circuit. The numbers on them are SN99961 70400604 Malaysia. At least that is the kind in my board. Let me know if you would like to unload one or all four if you have them.

Thanks

Comment

Any chances that you'd share those measurements? I'm in the same situation with a Mace combo that was poorly converted to a head by me when I was a teenager.

Comment

The dims are:
                26"wide
                9.5" deep on the top
                11" deep on the bottom and
                20" high.

Hope that helps.

Comment

You beat me to it, a MAce with a bad TL604 - swap the reverb 604 into wherever you need one. Then stick a small jumper wire into the reverb IC socket and jump across it. Now the reverb is always on, turn the knob down when you don;t want reverb.

PV makes and sells a little workaround for the TL604.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by determined2play View Post
                    The dims are:
                    26"wide
                    9.5" deep on the top
                    11" deep on the bottom and
                    20" high.

Hope that helps.
                    Yeah, thanks!

This baby is still at the shop needing some serious surgery. Can't wait to make it scream again

Comment

best of luck on your mace.

Comment

Working...
                      X