Metal Speaker Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Speaker Grill

I didnt know where to put this thread so I hope here is fine. I am building a 2x12 combo and I would like to know where I can find metal speaker grills. Not the circle ones that go just over the speaker. I want a square piece to fit the whole baffle. I found a place called reliable hardware but I would like more of a variety. Who would sell stuff like this? Thanks in advance.

There are various kinds of sheet metal grilles. SOme are just flat sheet with a zillion round holes punched. And some are full of square holes - like the round bolt on ones. SOme are made by cutting little slits all over then pulling the ends apart, so the slits widen into diamond shapes. I think they call it expanded metal, but I could be wrong.

You can look at Home Depot or Lowes, they might have some stock. Otherwise try local welding shops.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

McMaster Carr.com sells the stuff. I agree with Enzo, weld shops would be the one of the best local place to find stuff. If your area has alot of industry, there will also be steel suppliers locally, you can try them but they may not sell to an individual because the labor to cut and package the metal is worth more than the sale. And lastly, eBay. Sounds weird, but I've bought aluminum tread plate from eBay.
      -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by defaced View Post
        McMaster Carr.com sells the stuff. I agree with Enzo, weld shops would be the one of the best local place to find stuff. If your area has alot of industry, there will also be steel suppliers locally, you can try them but they may not sell to an individual because the labor to cut and package the metal is worth more than the sale. And lastly, eBay. Sounds weird, but I've bought aluminum tread plate from eBay.
        I used to make grills for floor monitors (which take lots of abuse) or any cab missing a grill really from 1/4 inch heavy duty square mesh screen. This is the kind that they use to cover outside vents in houses. I would make a frame out of 1/1 pine then form and staple (on the sides) the stuff over it finally painting the whole assembly with flat black paint. If needed I used velcro to hold it to the cabinet. The result was always very inexpensive, practical, and professional looking.

Comment

Screen like it looks like the junctions are soldered and the whole thing galvanized? I used to make animal cages of that stuff. We called it "hardware cloth."
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I do live in an industrialized area. I will check with some weld shops. Two more questions: What thickness speaker baffle should I use? The combo is made from 3/4in birch and I was just going to make the baffle with the birch but that seems awfully thick for a baffle. If that is the correct size then let me know. Also, it is time for me to start thinking about speakers. The combo is fully enclosed like the Krank combo and the amp is hi gain slo-ish style. Eminence has so many different types. I want to try Eminence but with a 75w Celestion I know what I am getting. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              Screen like it looks like the junctions are soldered and the whole thing galvanized? I used to make animal cages of that stuff. We called it "hardware cloth."
              Yeah, but 1/4" squares. They have it in galvanized and ungalvanized. The galvanized stuff is easier to find. I never had any touble with paint sticking to it though. It is a a cheap and effective solution that looks good. Being poor we would look for solid or plywood (not particle board) 12" or 15" woofer dead stereo speaker enclosures, stuff them with fiberglass, load them with a musical instrument speaker, add a Motorola pieziostatic horn with a hi pass cap, make a grill like I said before, and paint the whole mess black.

Comment

That's good stuff.

I've used the stuff for years, will even stop beer bottles! I'll try to post a picture of the last, (unfinished) cabinet I built.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello, I am new to the site, but love it so far. I found some metal grills at partsexpress. You can see them here.

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...TOKEN=47263286

I like the chicken wire idea though. Would be a lot cheaper.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Metal Mesh speaker cover

I don't know if you have already found what you are looking for but I was looking for the same exact thing and I found this company online. Here's the link.

http://www.reliablehardware.com/Cust...FQVuswodMF8cUA

Comment

Working...
                    X