Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low-Mid-Thunk, ~1x12'', scoop, reflex... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low-Mid-Thunk, ~1x12'', scoop, reflex... ?

Starting with a 12'' [or 15''] speaker...
    Any fairly easy cabinets which use scoop or reflex technology to help accentuate low-mid frequencies?
    I like a heavy 'mid-thunk' type of chest thumper feel, and have 20w tube amp I can drive this..and ~effecient speakers I could try.
    To be used as "Bottom Cabinet" [for guitar, or bass]...which'd be used simply to help the mid-lows come out, knowing that HF's in non-front loaded cabs suffers, would have a front loaded speaker enclosure on top of it...2 cabs, 1 'bassy', 1 'full range'.
    Just wondering if anyones ever tried say a scoop cabinet or some kind of 'double folded' or folded horn type of cabinet and liked it for guitar...with or without a 'treble' cabinet on top.
    Any scoop plans available ?
    Last edited by petemoore; 06-05-2009, 04:18 PM. Reason: added reference info

Hi Pete

Nobody makes a scoop for a single 12" that I know of. The classic bass-heavy 1x12" design is the TL806 cabinet that EV recommended for their EVM12L, which was sold by Mesa as the "Thiele cabinet". I've built a rough clone of it, and it will chunk pretty hard. It's even usable for bass guitar in an emergency.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

A friend of mine has an old Music Man box loaded with a pair of 12s and a scoop which starts at the top of the box (inside, and behind the speakers). He has used it as a guitar cab for many years and liked it, but went to a combo for ease of transportation. His son has now acquired it as a bass guitar cab and absolutely loves it because of the low-mid thump.
      Hope this helps towards answering your question.

Tinkerer

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
        Hi Pete

Nobody makes a scoop for a single 12" that I know of.

I do.

-g

Comment

You go girl...

Just kidding. I've often thought it would be a great idea to build a small guitar combo with a two speaker cab (one in a folded config for bottom end) to get a bigger sound from a small package at lower watts. My idea uses two 8's or 10's. Kudos to you for actually realizing it. What is your design?

Chuck
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq-pn-LlQM4&feature=channel

Ya, I guess it does have a little bit of an "airiness" to it.....

-g

Comment

Working...
            X