Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chassis mouting

Hi all,

I'm planning on building a 5F4 Super clone but don't have any information on the super cab except the outer measurements fromt the ampwares site.
    Because I'm planning to build the cab by myself I need some information to mount the chassis to the cab.
    Is the chassis held with only these two bolts from the upper side of the cab or are there any other (hidden) points to keep the chassis in place?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt

When I do my 'tweeds', I use four mounting bolts from the top, with a bit of rubber door weather seal stripping padding between the cab and the chassis to absorb vibrations. Keeps the chassis firmly in place.
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

The 5F4 Super like the tweed Bassman used three machine screws to hold the chassis to the cab. Attached is a photo of a 1958 Fender 5F4 Super chassis.
      You can see two mounting at the ends of the chassis face and an angle bracket on the back of the power transformer for the third screw. The third screw gives good extra support to counteract the torque of the heavy PT.

Regards,
      Tom
      Attached Files

Comment

Great hint thanks.
        There's no "head" of a third screw or bolt seen on the outside.
        I'd guess the third screw would be driven in the wood from insiide the cabinet right?

Comment

Matt,

The third screw head does show on the outside.
          I've seen it left out during recover jobs and on some re-issue Fender amps. I suppose that Fender could have left it uninstalled on some original amps because they did make mistakes.

I recently restored a 1958 Bassman that had been covered in black Tolex. The third screw was left out and the pine cabinet cracked next to the remaining chassis screw on that side due to the added stress.

I'll look for more photos.

Regards,
          Tom

Comment

Matt,
            Here is a photo of an old Super showing the third chassis screw head.
            I’ve seen original Tweed Supers both with and without the third screw.

This is relevant if you want to build a faithful reproduction of the original. If you just want a clone for the sound then there are other ways to give the chassis / power transformer the support it needs. I think Mission Amps sells a larger angle bracket that fits the side of the chassis.

Regards,
            Tom
            Attached Files

Comment

Tom
              Woah, great, just what I was looking for. Thanks.
              I don't think I'm gonna start a authentic copy since I believe my skills ar not good nough. But at least I want it to look like the original at first glance. Initially I had the idea to make the chassis broader and mount it to some brackets on the sides.
              Now I think I'm gonna use a mix of the original way and tubeswell's proposal.
              At time I'm still collecting parts and ideas. Gonna open a new thread when I start building, to keep you informed.
              Thanks again guys.

Comment

Working...
              X