Cheap 4x8 idea - Studio Pro woofers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap 4x8 idea - Studio Pro woofers

Hey guys. I've got a couple of high-school type bands around here that I want to furnish with mid quality, low-cost guitar cabinets. I was thinking of building baby 4x8's for small gigs out of Pyramid Studio Pro WH8 8" woofers. Trouble is, I can't find t/s parameters for them anywhere.

8'' Pyramid Pro Audio Woofer | Pyramid | WH8

Cheap as anything, right? With a sheet of 5/8" plywood running about $12 and shipping at about $10, with another $10 for hardware and grills, I'm looking at a $67 cabinet I could maybe resell to these guys for about $100, and turn a little profit.

The trouble is, I don't know what volume to make the cabinet. I might assume 4 cu ft, but that may be too much. So I'm wondering, does anyone have experience with these woofers, or maybe know where I could find t/s parameters? Any assistance or opinions would be appreciated.

I read recently (from one of our respected posters IIRC) to multiply the diameter of the speaker (in inches) by 1.1 then cube it- that'll give you a good ballpark for the volume of the cabinet in cubic inches. Obviously you'll have to multiply it by 4.

Have you tried any of these things? How do they sound?

jamie

Comment

I have put them in as replacements a long while back in another 4x8 cabinet I had. They worked okay, but in testing reached their mechanical limits before the other two beefier woofers did. Perhaps bad port tuning for those particular woofers.

(turns out those other two woofers were fine, just wired out of phase)

However, i would argue that they worked very well down to about 70hz. This is what makes me think they would be just fine for guitar. Some t/s paras would be nice, though, as I could drop them in boxplot and see if they have potential for lower frequency performance with a port.

Also, I know to take the 100w rms rating with a grain of salt. I'm sure that these are just lousy drivers by themselves, but with the voltage divider of a 4x8, i think they could hold up well.

About that formula, I would question the reasoning behind that. I know for a fact that while some 8"ers would perform just fine in a .88cu ft cabinet, others might find that to be too big or too small and would have response humps in the upper bass or too much excursion.

That being said, it might also work just fine for these drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesonStyles View Post
        Hey guys. I've got a couple of high-school type bands around here that I want to furnish with mid quality, low-cost guitar cabinets. I was thinking of building baby 4x8's for small gigs out of Pyramid Studio Pro WH8 8" woofers. Trouble is, I can't find t/s parameters for them anywhere.

8'' Pyramid Pro Audio Woofer | Pyramid | WH8

Cheap as anything, right? With a sheet of 5/8" plywood running about $12 and shipping at about $10, with another $10 for hardware and grills, I'm looking at a $67 cabinet I could maybe resell to these guys for about $100, and turn a little profit.

The trouble is, I don't know what volume to make the cabinet. I might assume 4 cu ft, but that may be too much. So I'm wondering, does anyone have experience with these woofers, or maybe know where I could find t/s parameters? Any assistance or opinions would be appreciated.
        I'd consider using two of the 10" speakers instead of four 8" speakers.
        Your cabinet would only need to be 24"x 18"x 11"

10'' Pyramid Pro Audio Woofer | Pyramid | WH10
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
          I'd consider using two of the 10" speakers instead of four 8" speakers.
          Your cabinet would only need to be 24"x 18"x 11"

10'' Pyramid Pro Audio Woofer | Pyramid | WH10
          Although this would normally be a good idea, if he is selling them to high-school kids they will most probably love the idea of having 4-speakers because generally they'd go crazy for a halfstack looking amp no matter the sound.
          I'd go for the 4 8".

Btw, cool idea to make money and have some fun
          [FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][COLOR="LightBlue"][SIZE="4"]scar tissue that i wish you saw[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by JamesonStyles View Post
            Since guitar speakers are designed to work in "open air" (like a combo), the box can't be "too big". Since low compliance speakers have a small Vas, it's also unlikely to be too small.

"lower frequency performance" requires extended excursion, and you've already found that to be a problem. I wouldn't try to port them.

Comment

Working...
            X