Stereo/Mono wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo/Mono wiring question

I run a mono amp at 8ohms, but just for fun (and marks in my product design coursework) I'd like to be able to run the cab in stereo also. But the only thing is that I want the Ohms to be the same whether I'm using it in stereo or mono. I haven't read about a way of doing this so I came up with a way of doing it myself but am not sure if it will work. (I'm not a wiring expert by any means so its unbeliably simple and most probably flawed.)

Basically all I am thinking of doing is when wanting to use a mono amp at 8 ohms I will use a jack splitter:

on the end of the instrument cable that will go into the cab from the head. I want to put the two jack outputs into both stereo jack inputs and basically trick the cab into using the stereo function when really it will just be two identical mono signals.

If I wire the cab so that when it's stereo it is running at 8ohms, then I can just use this method when wanting to use it in mono. Will it work do you think? sorry if it is unclear, I'm never very good at explaining things.

thanks in advance
    [FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][COLOR="LightBlue"][SIZE="4"]scar tissue that i wish you saw[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Hi there Bloop. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to be that easy for you. If your cab has two 8 ohm speakers, they can run either two sources at 8 ohms (stereo), or one source at 16 ohms (series) or 4 ohms (parallel). Using a splitter as you suggest would just put the two speakers in parallel connection (4 ohms), not make a single 8 ohm source turn into two 8 ohm sources. I also would stay away from audio cables (such as the pictured splitter) and stick with proper heavy gauge speaker cables.

Normally, you have a couple switching speaker inputs (or inputs + switches) wired up so that you plug into one for mono use & plug into both for stereo. The load impedance is different for each operation though. I suppose you could rig something up with resistors & switching jacks so you always had an 8 ohm load, but then you'd be attenuating the signal.

Hope this helps!

PS - Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome
      Oh ok I guess I'll just have to put up with it then. Thanks mate.
      [FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][COLOR="LightBlue"][SIZE="4"]scar tissue that i wish you saw[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
      X