Tweed Deluxe interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweed Deluxe interior

Does anyone happen to know how the original Deluxe circa 1957 were finished on the interior? Shellac, paint, laquer ? And how was the baffle board finshed as well, black paint on the front? shellac, laquer, any suggestions.

Thanks,

I have a Harvard from that era - the interior sides & bottom are bare wood and the baffle is black. Can't see the front of the baffle through the cloth.

Comment

thanks tonewood. I kept searching the internet and found some pictures of the old tweeds and it appears that they were bare. By looking at them the wood was old and yellowed maybe even shellacked or lacquered.

thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by scarab View Post
        thanks tonewood. I kept searching the internet and found some pictures of the old tweeds and it appears that they were bare. By looking at them the wood was old and yellowed maybe even shellacked or lacquered.

thanks again.
        Two to parts alcohol, one part amber brown shellac on raw wood. Nice old look.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
          Two to parts alcohol, one part amber brown shellac on raw wood. Nice old look.

That's what I did while waiting for responses. It gave it that old faded pine look, exactly what I was looking for. I am now on my 3rd attempt at getting the tweed the right color and finish. 1st was done 70/30 alchohol/amber shellac. When I clear it it turned a reddish tone, 2nd one started the same way but cleared one coat, washed with lacquer thinner, sanded then cleared again, turned out too brown. I think i will experiment and test witht he scraps before doing the third cabinet.

Comment

Working...
          X