Making Pine More Dense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Pine More Dense?

I've already built a 2x12 open back cab out of pine but before i go any further is there any ways to improve the sound of the pine. I've read that modern pine inst the best since its very soft. I was thinking of sealing the inside with numerous coats of thinned varathane so it soakes in and adds some weight to the cab. Any ideas?

Heat and pressure to impregnate it with some sort of hard resin, or use some kiln dried planks of oak or some such. If you really want more dense, go void free birch ply. I tend to like cabinets that don't impart much to tone, and leave it up to the amp and speaker, and the box size and wether it's open backl or sealed.

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
      Heat and pressure to impregnate it with some sort of hard resin.
      I like that idea, it would be too difficult to pull off. Maybe a layer of fiber glass? or a layer of hardwood? I know what a hard layer laminated to a soft layer would yeild sound wise.

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
      , or use some kiln dried planks of oak or some such. If you really want more dense, go void free birch ply. I tend to like cabinets that don't impart much to tone, and leave it up to the amp and speaker, and the box size and wether it's open backl or sealed.
      It open back but its already built so id like to try something to improve it rather then start again.

Comment

I would probably listen to the cabinet first and decide then if it needed "improvement". Pine makes a great sounding open back cab as all those BF Fenders will attest. Also, any more reflective material applied to the inside of the cab will increase the amount of high end frequencies escaping the back that will be out of phase with the speaker. Probably making for a DARKER sounding cab rather than a flatter sounding cab. I would be more inclined to harden the OUTSIDE of the box just for durability. I built an antiqued finish three cabinet amp set for a friend from pine and it dents if you look at it hard. But, to address the OP...

Minwax makes a resin product called "Wood hardener" that penetrates soft woods and hardens them considerably to the penetration depth. Which may not be VERY deep but if you don't have an atmospheric chamber of some sort (like the rest of us) it may be your best option for a simple answer. It's made specifically to harden wood that has suffered from dry rot and for hardening "spalted" pieces of decorative lumber. You can buy it at any hardware store.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

yeah ill give it a try first. its a 2x12 open back with a pair of Weber Californias. Its going to be wrapped in vinyl eventually. thanks for the insight. i dont want muddy. i want clear. i dont play with much distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by NFXP View Post
            i dont want muddy. i want clear.
            Thick baffel.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
            X