Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a 1/12 x 1/10 cab

Hi Guys,

I currently have a couple of small amps (Gilmore Jr and Rock Block.) in the 1/2 to 2 watt range and I've been playing them both through a Weber 12", 15 watt, 16 ohm Alnico Blue Dog, with light doping , mounted in an open back cab. As time has gone buy the speaker sounds better and better and I'm pretty happy with my speaker choice.

OTOH, I've been thinking about adding a 10" speaker to what I already have. The goal would be to add a bit more immediacy, complexity and aural punch to the sound. I keep thinking that somethings missing but I don't quite know what it is!

My other idea/option might be to build another cab and equip it with an 8"/10" combo as per Dave Hunters Amp Handbook. I play mostly blues and rock with Strats and have no plans for building any amps over 18 watts, so thats the power range I need to cover.

I'm not the most experienced guy in this area so I'm open to suggestions. Let the wisdom flow!

Hi beemer
    immediacy, complexity and aural punch
    unfortunately is Marketing Dept babble and means nothing or not much in the real world.
    Don't get entangled by it.
    Now to more practical terms: you state the sound you need very well: Blues/Rock, medium power amps, Strats (yummy !)
    Speaker sound is not only determined by size, but by construction parameters, technology, mounting, etc.
    In your particular case, you already have an excellent speaker.
    What can you add to it that it doesn't have already?
    Considering the extended Strat range, an extra speaker with a small voice coil, a very light cone, and built "the old way" will add extra sparkle.
    I think that a couple "R" speakers would provide that and be a good match both to your Weber and your Strat.
    See that I am not talking about speaker diameter per se but to construction.
    That said, I find (personal opinion, you may very well disagree) that a couple "10 R" (P10R or C10R, choose one) will add some tasty sparkle and openness.
    "8R"s would provide the same but with less bass; "12R" might be not that different from what you already have.
    Besides, the little coil and magnet must struggle to move such a heavy cone (I mean, heavy for them).
    A heavier speaker, such as a "Q" or an "N" would be good on its own, but not that much different either, which I think is the point here.
    Good luck and please post your results.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
    X