Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MDF

Hi John,

You confirmed my thoughts. I couldn't really see it in the picture.
    The cab looks very well built
    I asked because I've experimented with several types of wood over the last couple of years and have come to the conclusion that, like you say, MDF is not ideal for speakercabs. What I like best is birch plywood ( tonewise), heavy but unsurpassed.
    Thanks for the info .

Alf

Comment

Why is MDF not a good choice? I'm looking to build a combo sometime in the next few months. I haven't researched this at all yet, but I ran across this thread. I would have thought MDF was ideal. Is it not dense enough?

Kevin

Comment

MDF is dense and has high internal damping so it doesn't resonate at all really. It's widely used for Hi-fi speaker cabinets for that reason. But I think the argument is that you actually want guitar cabinets to resonate and colour the sound.

Even if you don't buy that (and I think it doesn't make much difference myself) plywood cabinets seem to be somewhat tougher for gigging and touring than MDF. Some amp makers build their cheap models from MDF, but all the quality brands seem to be made of plywood (though I've seen a Fender cab made of solid pine boards once)

Having said that, I have two 2x12" cabs, one cheap-o Marshall Valvestate made of MDF, and one Hiwatt made of plywood. I've not managed to break either. I have seen Fender Twin combos split open at the corners though.
        Last edited by Steve Conner; 09-03-2006, 09:35 PM.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I think The difference in tone between MDF versus solid wood on a open back combo amp would be difficult if not impossible to discern. The disadvantage of the MDF is it's strength. If you're working with limited tools, or experience it's still a good choice though. I plan to do a 1x12 combo soon. I'll probably use solid poplar.

Comment

Working...
          X