Rawcabs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Enzo also covered pool tables.!?.

Not surprised. Bet he's got game too. I play, but I've never been competitive enough to take it seriously. I hold my own at the bar but put me up against a serious player or a guy that owns a table and my amateur starts to show. I've been one ball shy of running the table off a break on two occasions and I own two semi expensive pool cues. I think I took it up because I had to give up bowling due to a bad shoulder. And yes, I had a ball with my name on it. Never bowled a 300 either. Though I got it into the last frame a couple of times.

How's your pool game Enzo?
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Ancient. I used to spend every night in the bar, and played pool the whole time. But 30 years ago I found a new job, and a new girl, and stopped going to the bar, snap. Haven't played since. Like you, I could usually hold a table or at least stay on it a lot of the night, unless a certain couple of guys were playing. I knew my place. I had a cheap break down stick. The narrow end fit into the fat end and turned into a walking stick. There was a brass knob handle that unscrewed to expose a chalk. CArved grip. I think it cost me $10, but everyone assumed it was expensive. I was always getting offers of $100 or more. I thought about buying a gross of them and selling them. One night I was along a rail, 8 in front of pocket but opponent ball in between. I called a masse shot around his ball, and calmly poked it like I knew what I was doing, thoroughly expecting it to careen off to nowhere. The cue ball went neat as can be around the obstacle and sank the called 8. not again in 100 years...

I am a better pool shooter than I am a guitarist though, not saying much.

I was a league bowler for years, my average couldn't crack 180, 179 was tops. My best game was a 279. Had to give it up for bad knees, wrists.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        One night I was along a rail, 8 in front of pocket but opponent ball in between. I called a masse shot around his ball, and calmly poked it like I knew what I was doing, thoroughly expecting it to careen off to nowhere. The cue ball went neat as can be around the obstacle and sank the called 8. not again in 100 years...
        I almost got my ticket punched at a bar for the same move. The guy (We'll just call him Mr. Enormous) thought I was sharking him. It was a lucky shot.

I was a league bowler for years, my average couldn't crack 180, 179 was tops. My best game was a 279. Had to give it up for bad knees, wrists.
        Other than the malady (mine was a bad shoulder) the numbers couldn't be more similar. So there's the story above and then these numbers. Get out of my head!

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          I meant to mention that! It's common in "wallpaper hanging" to use a small piece of the product under potentially exposed seams. As long as the added film thickness doesn't show it works a treat...
          So you do wallpapering, too — cool! I remember doing two day jobs out of the college employment office back in the 70's. One was to remove wallpaper with a steamer and I remember it made the room *very* hot. The other one was for a hoity-toity homeowner who complained that my work didn't look professional (I guess you are supposed to line up the images for adjacent sheets...?)
          I signed up as a helper who could follow directions, not as a journeyman in any field. If you want professional results you hire a professional, not some college kid for crap wages...
          I remember one job pulling weeds in someone's back yard. They ran the sprinklers all night to make it easier for me to pull the weeds out. What a muddy mess that was... Gee, thanks!

Steve A.
          The Blue Guitar
          www.blueguitar.org
          Some recordings:
          https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

If you're a painter it's inevitable that you'll get suckered into, at least, one small wallpaper job. "My" one job to convinced me to find an actual wallpaper hanger to sub contract if it ever came up again . I've removed plenty of wallpaper though. And yep, the steamers are a bad time. For me, paper removal usually includes preparing the wall for paint (ie: patch, smooth, repair, texture, etc.) so I only do paper removal T&M now. You never know if it will come off in easy sheets or little chips the size of postage stamps and you never know what you'll find underneath.

Comment

Ancient. I used to spend every night in the bar, and played pool the whole time. But 30 years ago I found a new job, and a new girl, and stopped going to the bar, snap. Haven't played since. Like you, I could usually hold a table or at least stay on it a lot of the night, unless a certain couple of guys were playing. I knew my place. I had a cheap break down stick. The narrow end fit into the fat end and turned into a walking stick. There was a brass knob handle that unscrewed to expose a chalk. CArved grip. I think it cost me $10, but everyone assumed it was expensive. I was always getting offers of $100 or more. I thought about buying a gross of them and selling them. One night I was along a rail, 8 in front of pocket but opponent ball in between. I called a masse shot around his ball, and calmly poked it like I knew what I was doing, thoroughly expecting it to careen off to nowhere. The cue ball went neat as can be around the obstacle and sank the called 8. not again in 100 years...

I am a better pool shooter than I am a guitarist though, not saying much.

Having never heard of the "masse shot", I went searching.

This video shows the Masse & a few other mind blowers.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2XHxXypNWI

Enjoy.

Comment

The masse is a great bar shot. If you actually make the shot, you are a pool god. If you miss the shot, well no one expected you to make it anyway, so you are OK.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Beautiful job! Wish I had 10% of your skills.
                  I found the rawcabs guy in ebay as well, makes really nice stuff.

Where did you get your chassis, if you don't mind me asking?
                  The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                    Can you post a link to the auction or the seller? Assuming that this wasn't just a one time deal...

The cabinet looks great and I know a lot of people are looking for a good source.

Thanks!

Steve Ahola

P.S. Is this the seller? I really like his very reasonable shipping charge...

rawcabs 1x12 pine narrow panel unfinished tweed deluxe cabinet for a 5e3 chassis | eBay

P.P.S. Damn, I wish I knew about this guy when I had to pass up a great deal on a Marshall DSL-40C because it was too damned heavy! (I got the DSL-15C instead which lacks the alternate modes for the two channels.) A lot of people wish that Marshall made a DSL-40 head...

rawcabs unfinished pine head cabinet for marshall DSL 40C chassis project | eBay

I see that the builder lives in Fresno which might explain why the shipping charge to the SF Bay Area is so reasonable... it might be a little higher going to the East Coast.
                    Yeah, shipping to me on the east coast from Fresno is like 50 bucks. The times we live in. He makes awesome cab's, though.
                    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

mikepukmel, I think the company is Tube Audio Supply, (after building this, I wrote to complain about the lettering for the "standby" switch). I also have seen these chassis, (with the same "standby" lettering), on the Chinese sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Moore View Post
                        mikepukmel, I think the company is Tube Audio Supply, (after building this, I wrote to complain about the lettering for the "standby" switch). I also have seen these chassis, (with the same "standby" lettering), on the Chinese sites.
                        Thanks, Bill, I will check them out.
                        Regards,
                        Mike

Comment

I'm getting rather frustrated looking for cabs. I currently have 2 amps (a 22 watt combo and a 34 watt head) that I have built to from surplus asian parts for under a $100 apiece and have iron for another. I used to be able pick up fried SS combo heads and combos for next to nothing to stuff with my projects. I've had these amps setting for months now but simply can't justify spending the costs and shipping for new cabs. Guess I'll just wait until the wife starts screaming... louder. Lol..

Comment

jbl?
                            "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

When I closed my shop I got rid of a bunch of dumb combo amps. I still have a real nice Vox AD120 just itching to be someone's project.
                              Looks like this:
                              The VOX Showroom - The Vox Valvetronix AD120VT Amplifier

I doubt you want me shipping to the other coast, but point being they are out there to find.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                                I'm getting rather frustrated looking for cabs. I currently have 2 amps (a 22 watt combo and a 34 watt head) that I have built to from surplus asian parts for under a $100 apiece and have iron for another. I used to be able pick up fried SS combo heads and combos for next to nothing to stuff with my projects. I've had these amps setting for months now but simply can't justify spending the costs and shipping for new cabs. Guess I'll just wait until the wife starts screaming... louder. Lol..
                                Oh man I feel your pain. Before starting on a project I thought Id be able to find a combo cabinet, something, for 100.00 range, but eek like twice that, with no covering, no hardware. And the shipping .eeek. Its ridiculous. Where is the "value added" in putting something on an truck, driving someplace, taking the thing off the truck?

Comment

Working...
                                X