Rawcabs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    When I closed my shop I got rid of a bunch of dumb combo amps. I still have a real nice Vox AD120 just itching to be someone's project.
    Looks like this:
    The VOX Showroom - The Vox Valvetronix AD120VT Amplifier

I doubt you want me shipping to the other coast, but point being they are out there to find.
    Nice cabinet, Enzo, what are you asking for it? Is it all complete (chassis + cab + spkrs)? Any idea what the weight is?
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Looks like 58 pounds for the unit itself. A box adds to that.

it is complete, amp chassis, cab, original two Vox Celestion speakers. it is complete, but I don't consider it reasonably repairable to original. To me is is a nice sturdy cab with speakers and chassis to build into. it is in fact unused, it was a new amp that never worked. Some issue in the computer section.

We can discuss it in private message if you are interested.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Where is the "value added" in putting something on an truck, driving someplace, taking the thing off the truck?
        Maybe having the parcel in your front porch instead of walking/driving 100-500-2000 miles has *some* value?

Just curious, and leaving aside car investment, wear, depreciation and time wasted, what would cost *gasoline* alone driving both ways cost?
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

And packaging such an item so that it will survive the shipping is a big deal. Not just the cost of the packaging materials but the time it takes to put it all together. You can, of course, reduce the packaging time by ordering custom boxes with inserts that safely suspend the item within the outside box but the non recurring cost and the minimum buy quantity for such a box is significant.

Shipping company charges to individuals and small companies has also gone up a lot in the last decade. If you are a real high volume shipper you can get deep discounts from the shipping companies. However, us little guys pay the top tier rates.

Comment

I just don't see dumb cabs anymore. Used to pick them up on trash day. I don't know where they are going locally nowadays. Probably setting in people's garages and shops. Maybe I should check the dumpster behind Carvin. But nowadays they fence that shit up and crush everything.

Comment

I got a line 6 cabinet lying around here that I will probably never use. Just pay shipping and it's yours!! The picture below is not the actual picture of mine. The speakers are missing and so is the head chassis.
              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                Shipping company charges to individuals and small companies has also gone up a lot in the last decade.
                Heck just within the last year my 3-day UPS from CE and Ruby (Tempe AZ & Petaluma CA) to upstate NY has gone lunatic, same for ground ship from Mojo. Easily up 50%. OW! For these prices they should be delivering by Cadillac.
                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                  For these prices they should be delivering by Cadillac.
                  Make that a vintage white Cadillac. With a PONO sound system.
                  "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
                    I got a line 6 cabinet lying around here that I will probably never use. Just pay shipping and it's yours!! The picture below is not the actual picture of mine. The speakers are missing and so is the head chassis.
                    As a joke, I've often thought about shoehorning a custom build into an absolutely crappy looking Crate, Johnson or Line6 combo package... and then taking that ugly PoS to an amp shootout and blowing peoples' minds. My problem has been that I've never had spare time and a spare donor chassis at the same time.

Could you imagine how great that amp carcass would go over if it had a Blonde Bassman, a Tweed Twin or maybe a Prosonic stuffed inside?

So many amps, so little time ...

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Enzo, if that vox doesn't sell i may be interested. I have a Silvertone tube chassis looking for a new home because the particle board cabinet was thrown away 30 years ago.

Comment

Since closing my shop, it is a project I will never do, so it is definitely for sale. PMs to discuss it.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
                          As a joke, I've often thought about shoehorning a custom build into an absolutely crappy looking Crate, Johnson or Line6 combo package... and then taking that ugly PoS to an amp shootout and blowing peoples' minds. My problem has been that I've never had spare time and a spare donor chassis at the same time.

Could you imagine how great that amp carcass would go over if it had a Blonde Bassman, a Tweed Twin or maybe a Prosonic stuffed inside?

Or it could completely backfire when people refuse to believe that the ugly POS in the unloved brand cab sounds good. Would be an interesting social experiment though.

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post

I hope you do find the time to do it. lt would be a fascinating psychological insight into how the appearance affects the perceived tone. Take notes.
                            Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

I certainly remember many times when guys removed the Peavey logos from amps to make them sound better.

Comment

I think you guys are right -- appearance effects peoples' perception. Maybe people wouldn't be willing to accept that the tone was great if they saw the crappy package first. Maybe I'd have to make them listen to the amp behind a curtain so they couldn't see it ... and then do the "reveal" after they decided they liked the tone. It's funny how some people make up their minds on tone by looking with their eyes rather than hearing with their ears.

Comment

Working...
                                X