Recommendations for a drill press and table saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for a drill press and table saw

Hey all, I need to start some projects and I just really am ready to get that table saw and drill press I've been talking about for years. Trouble is, I know very little about power tools.

Yes, I know you can make speaker cabs with a circular. We made many of them (my friends and I) back in the day. I don't want to ever have to do that again.

So any recommendations for a decent drill press and a smaller or even portable table saw?

TIA

John

Guess this will be my first post to these forums! I'm an experienced woodworker / wooden boat builder so I've used more than my fair share of power tools.

For a portable table saw, I'm a big fan of the Bosch portable saw. It is extremely accurate for a portable saw and is priced under $500. This is the one that I own and after using mine, three of my friends purchased their own. To me, the thing that sets this saw apart from the rest is the fence. It has remained square to the blade, after cutting well over 10,000 feet worth of lumber (cedar strip canoes). It handles 2x6 oak without a problem. One of my favorite blades is a Freud 7-1/4" thin kerf circular saw blade. Still has the 5/8" arbor but removes so little material that it slides through wood with very little effort and no perceivable blade deflection.
    http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T....aspx?pid=4100

For the drill press - you could go with just about any of the big manufacturers. Delta, Jet, Powermatic, even Rigid (Home Depot) makes a really nice drill press for around $225. What I have found is that if you buy or make a nice table for your drill press - just about any machine can perform very well. Rockler sells a nice drill press table so you could get a good general idea of what to look for by checking them out.

Comment

im using a 200 dollar grizzly floor drill press, works good and the dewalt jobsite table saw, its very nice and accurate but a little under powered for doing box joints but gets the job done anyway.

Comment

Working...
      X