Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do you have to remove all of the old glue when recovering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you have to remove all of the old glue when recovering?

Why do you have to remove all of the old glue when recovering a cabinet? Does it react with the new glue? Does the new glue not stick to it very well? Or is it just to get a smooth surface?

Originally posted by Ptron View Post
    Does the new glue not stick to it very well? Or is it just to get a smooth surface?
    Yes on both counts.

Sometimes you can put a hot wet towel to soften it up for easy removal.
    See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
    http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Comment

Damp towel worked great. Thanks for the tip PRNDL. Now the question is, can I put a coat of flat spray paint on this thing as a temporary measure until I find some cloth that I like for the re-cover? Or will the paint also have bad reactions with the glue? Seeing the edges of the old covering were glued over the painted interior of the cab, I'm guessing this is ok.

Comment

you could always try a bit of covering on a painted bit of wood and see what you think
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

painting is ok but before you cover your cab in Vynil give it a quick sanding with an orbital sander 100 grit disc before applying your contact cement
          Jerry
          www.vintageheadbox.com

Comment

I recommend that you just live with the old wood surface until you re-cover. The paint may not be a problem but if it is you could have a real mess at worst or just a hassle.
            Regards,
            Tom

Comment

I'm in the same boat. I have an old Hiwatt cab here that is 1/4 tolexed - there is padding/fuzz all over the place. So how did you get that old glue off? Peel/sand/duck tape??

Another ?. When the grillcloth starts to look dirty, clean it or leave it "vintage"?

Comment

Working...
              X