Truck bed liner paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck bed liner paint

I have a head cabinet that someone stripped off the Ozite (rat fur) covering. (I HATE that stuff.) Now the head cabinet is just particle board.

I would like to know your opinion of painting truck bed liner. I have done this before to mixed results. I do not remember the products that I used.

Thanks.

Well the guys that do it professionally have real application equipment. Rattle cans can't deliver that sort of material at the viscosity it's intended to be applied at. But that won't stop people from selling them. I think you can expect the same results as last time unless you're using a large container of bed liner and and some kind of industrial sprayer.

Two cents from a painter.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I used to do service work for a company that operated shuffleboards in taverns - amongst other things. These are nice hardwood lanes 24 feet long, and polished. Right across the street from their shop was an auto body shop. Whenever they needed a refinish on a shuffle lane, they took it across the street. You could likely take your cab to an autobody shop that installs such coatings and have them do it.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

This is a good consideration. I knew a guy that was "in" with someone that worked at an auto body shop. My friend brought his guys a guitar body with the understanding that they would spray it with clear whenever they were using the clean booth next time. Came out amazing. In another case someone I know needed a bumper sprayed in black flex coat and just walked into an auto body shop to ask about it and they just did it for him in minutes on the spot at no charge.

Maybe talk to the guys at a place that does bed liner coating. They may get you into something really pro for a fair price. It never hurts to ask.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I've looked using truck liner and it is really expensive to buy by the gallon. There are deck paints that I think would be cheaper and almost as good for an amp cabinet. PA cabs might need something tougher.

I have been pretty happy with some black vinyl contact paper that I got on Amazon. Not as tough as tolex, but super easy to apply. It is basically like 18" wide electrical tape with a little texture. It will also shrink fit a bit with some heat.

Before
          Click image for larger version

Name:	carvin_x100b_before.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	966146

After.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	carvin_x100b_after.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	966147

This stuff.
          https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

I've looked using truck liner and it is really expensive to buy by the gallon.
            Yep, that is why I go to a paint shop, they already have gallons of it, you don't need to buy way more than you need.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Forget about investing in plywood. Invest in truck bed liner paint. It seems the going rate is around $100 per gallon! Looks like I will have to sell my other kidney now!

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
                Forget about investing in plywood. Invest in truck bed liner paint. It seems the going rate is around $100 per gallon! Looks like I will have to sell my other kidney now!
                FWIW I think that's not unreasonable for a specialty coating. I pay $50 to $80 a gallon for high end house paint! Of course it has a much greater spread rate at 350 sq ft per gallon. I can't imagine that bed liner stuff goes further than about 50 to 100 sq ft, So that's a one to two bucks per square foot plus an equal amount for loading tools and the cleanup with things as small as amp cabinets, So figure four bucks a square foot. Considering overspray for baffles and panels something like a 2x12 cabinet would be about ten or twelve sq ft. So maybe forty or fifty bucks IF you have a sprayer for the stuff.

But if the rattle cans don't work... And of course they don't.

Seriously, no harm in walking into a bed liner place and asking. They get the stuff cheaper and already own the gear and already have to do cleanup and maintenance on the process every day. They may not charge more than fifty bucks a cab if you're nice and bring doughnuts when you pick the amps up.

Comment

Working...
                X