Relic new tolex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relic new tolex?

I recently bought a black face Fender Vibro Champ chassis (no cabinet or speaker). I am planning to buy a new cabinet from Guitar Cabinets Direct https://guitarcabinetsdirect.com/cab...p-vibro-champ/).

1) Has anyone had experience buying form this company and their quality?

2) How do I LIGHTLY relic the cabinet? I want cabinet tolex to be dull and not be shiny and look like it has been around since the 1960's.

Thanks!

Yes I've bought tweed cabinets from them pretty sure, no problems, fit and finish was fine. As to the slight relicing, maybe some acetone rubbed over it will dull it. No responsible if it melts.

Comment

Thanks. I will do a test patch in an inconspicious place.

Comment

If acetone is too aggressive it can have the edge taken off it by diluting with water or white spirit until you get the right solvent action. Also consider using a fine Scotchbrite pad.

Comment

You've been here before. I remember you were making some new back panels for a Fender amp and wanted to make them look more like the existing Tolex. Though I don't remember the outcome.

First put the cabinet in a box with an ashtray full of burning cigarettes. Then pour a beer on it. After that you grab it up by the handle and bash out every door casing in your house. Throw it in the back of a pickup truck and take it for a ride. Make quick starts and stops. Oh! Try loaning it to another guitar player and ask them to "treat it like it's theirs". That'll relic it for sure.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Almost there, you forgot the nervous cat sharpening its nails treatment
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

That isn't the end of the cat that scares me. El gato can spray some aging substance out his south end.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                That isn't the end of the cat that scares me. El gato can spray some aging substance out his south end.
                All relic-ing options considered, I'd always omit that one.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Actually considering the matter...

I might experiment with rubbing it with a paste made of wood ash. You might also consider dusting it with a rattle can of matte finish clear coat when you 're close to done. I say dusting it because you don't really want a uniform finish. And matte would be a little duller than the actual Tolex finish. Even if it were to wear or chip off a little later it would still look like aging.

Comment

I'd just leave it alone and let it "self relic".
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      I'd just leave it alone and let it "self relic".
                      That's my usual MO with such projects. In fact it never takes as long as I thought it should Who the heck needs to "relic" a guitar, right? Just use the thing. It'll happen of it's own accord sooner than you'd like.

Comment

Ah, the old how-to versus why...

Does the effort ever pay off ;looking realistic?

Like on a movie set or a stage set, some "wood grain" might look really great from a distance, but get up close and it turns out even fairly crude fake grain is convincing from afar.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Avoid solvents which will either do nothing or dissolve and destroy Tolex.

Relic it using the "natural" way: mechanical abrasion and wear.

There is a kind of very popular kitchen/pots/pans cleaner, itīcomes in powder form, looks like talcum, made out of a soft abrasive (finely ground clay) and detergent powder, every Country has its local brand.

Typically you sprinkle it over surface to be cleaned, wipe it everywhere with a wet cleaning cloth and finally you rinse it.

It kills all of the "new brightness" and leaves a dull "worn" finish.

To boot, some powder remains i nooks and crevices, similar to caked old dirt ... just what the doctor ordered.

I still use it regularly, to clean and degrease PCB copper surface before silkscreening and aluminum panels, micro scratching increases paint grip.
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                            Ah, the old how-to versus why...

Does the effort ever pay off ;looking realistic?

Like on a movie set or a stage set, some "wood grain" might look really great from a distance, but get up close and it turns out even fairly crude fake grain is convincing from afar.
                            Reliced guitar gives the illusion that you have played it for years, therefore you are a seasoned and professional player. Many people fall for that bullshit. Just like those jeans you can buy with worn out holes in the material, doubt anyone who buys them actually ever worked that hard.

Back in the 80s, we would buy a Poison or Guns & roses tshirt, toss it up in the air and shoot it with a 12 gauge, while shooting clay birds.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                              Avoid solvents which will either do nothing or dissolve and destroy Tolex.

Relic it using the "natural" way: mechanical abrasion and wear.

There is a kind of very popular kitchen/pots/pans cleaner, itīcomes in powder form, looks like talcum, made out of a soft abrasive (finely ground clay) and detergent powder, every Country has its local brand.

Typically you sprinkle it over surface to be cleaned, wipe it everywhere with a wet cleaning cloth and finally you rinse it.

It kills all of the "new brightness" and leaves a dull "worn" finish.

To boot, some powder remains i nooks and crevices, similar to caked old dirt ... just what the doctor ordered.

I still use it regularly, to clean and degrease PCB copper surface before silkscreening and aluminum panels, micro scratching increases paint grip.
                              This was my idea with the wood ash. Mostly fine abrasive but lots of irregular stuff too. Plus the "dirt" effect may be more realistic than cleaning powder. Certainly wood ash would be more effort though and lack the same cutting power.

Comment

Working...
                              X