Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite tolex glue?

What is your favorite tolex glue?

I have used DAP Weldwood Contact Cement for regluing tears and loose bits of tolex. It's probably too stinky to use for recovering an entire amp head.

Thanks!

Anybody tried this tolex glue from Antique Electronic Supply: https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...applying-tolex

Ot this Mojotone TruGlu Tweed and Tolex Adhesive: https://www.mojotone.com/Mojotone-Tr...ed-Glue-Bottle

Comment

I'd like to offer recommendations, but I don't do tolex. I'll glue little rips back down with whatever glue I have laying around the shop (speaker glue, super glue, etc.), but if it's beyond that, the customer can find someone who is willing. On the few builds or restorations that I've done for myself, if the tolex is shot, I strip it off and use truck bed liner for the finish.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Do you roll on the truck bed liner paint or spray on the truck bed liner paint? What truck bed liner do you recommend?

Comment

I can find out. I have a local guy do it for me. He's a cabinet/case builder and we trade favors. I have also used Line-X. They're pretty inexpensive if you have everything prepped and ready to go. I haven't taken anything there for a while, but the last thing I had done was an entire PA system (4- dual 18" cabinets and 4 dual 12/horn cabinets). The total bill was less than 400 bucks and that's a lot of surface area to spray. A little guitar amp wouldn't cost much. I just shot my case/cabinet maker buddy a text. I'll let you know what I find out.

Comment

Just heard back. He uses Duratex roller grade bought here (see below). He said to make sure to use their roller because that is what creates the textured look.
            https://www.speakerhardware.com/

Edit: Their site won't let me link a search, but if you type "Duratex" in the search box, it will take you to options.
            Last edited by The Dude; 12-27-2022, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Here in the UK I use Evostick Timebond. It's a rubber based contact adhesive that really holds and the Tolex never shifts once stuck down. The fumes are quite bad though, and application requires a lot of ventilation to avoid dizziness. I also use this for repairs. The exception is when working with Rexine - the smooth stuff that was used by Vox and others prior to their basket weave covering. I use PVA for this as anything else can cause damage to the surface.

Comment

For straight/rectangular surfaces I'm using water based wood glues. If I have to do curves and or ovals I use contact adhesives that hold steadily when applied but you still have time for some minor corrections if necessary. Of course fumes are bad but a small fan and forced air flow in the room helps.

Comment

I like hide glue myself, which is what Fender and others like Sunn historically used.

Greg

Comment

I've done Tolex only once and another amp in purple vinyl. Both products had a cloth weave backing. I don't know if others are like that. I suspect they're not, but...

I used a "heavy duty", "clear" wallpaper adhesive. Sorry I can't remember which one. My reasoning was that this is a product used for a similar chore and designed to not stain or show at seams. It also sticks well to porous substrates so I knew it would grab both the wood and the cloth backing. The vinyl amp was dismantled and the cabinet was tossed, but only after about seven years of hard use in clubs and cold garage storage. The vinyl was still solid and no seams were lifting. I actually have the Tolex amp back in my possession now after about ten years with a client. It looks like the day I covered it. I know this one was kept in a warm, clean environment. I'll endorse the HD clear wallpaper paste idea. Good working time, easy to manage and not stinky.

Edit: Using this product I did plan for a less than instant stick in place effect. My corners were all covered with metal corner guards and the seam was double cut and laid flat below a bottom edge. So if you're going to have corners that are not covered the slower adhesive could be problematic. I've repaired lifted corners on such amps similar to what what Mick has done. Rubber cement type products. Formica adhesives are really good for this, but they do stink with some authority. And...

I remember seeing a Mesa amps construction video here posted by Juan where the cabinets were literally covered in minutes. It's pretty clear from the technique that a rubber cement type adhesive was used because it was instant. But the way I see it you've got to have a clear method, templates and game in place before that works. YMMV.
                    Last edited by Chuck H; 12-30-2022, 01:36 AM.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

[QUOTE=Chuck H;n975551

I remember seeing a Mesa amps construction video here posted by Juan where the cabinets were literally covered in minutes. It's pretty clear from the technique that a rubber cement type adhesive was used because it was instant. But the way I see it you've got to have a clear method, templates and game in place before that works. YMMV.[/QUOTE]

The fact it was quick doesn't mean it was a rubber cement type adhesive. Hide glue sets pretty quick, within a minute at most, so you better get it right the first time. It kind of stinks too, but as I said, all vintage Fenders used the stuff and it works well. I bet Mesa was using hide glue as most of the pro shops used it until recent water based things. A lot probably still use it.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                      X